Saturday, December 22, 2018

12/22/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 1)

Todays dailies are brought to you by Lesley, Team Billand and yours truly.  Lesley's Ka'ena update is part two of the dailies. 

Team Billand saw the moon set at KoOlina and the sun rise over Honolulu when they to pick up our junior sealette Olivia! What a wonderful way to start their morning.  They were then on their way to find some Leeward seals.

The first find RN14 Kalani just hauling up on the rocks alone. They checked on him later in the afternoon and he was still there same spot on his back out cold.

Then there was RL42 Leia on the westside snoozing alone and looking plump.

Next stop Team Billand came across RIP RR70 he was in the same spot as the last couple of days resting alone in the morning. By the time afternoon rolled around he was joined by Ka'ale RH32. Both were resting peacefully.

So I went to the pier today to check Rabbit Island, since Marilyn will be off island for the holidays. On my way down to the pier I met up with a couple of fishermen and head of security, (they recognized the scope), they told me there had been six seals out around the pier early in the morning. All I could think of is how much DB would have loved to see that.

Once I got settle in and set up the scope I was surprised to see six seals all in snooze mode on the island. The first group of four were close together at the far left side of the island. Then the other two were like bookends to the first blue sign.  There was minimal movement, only two of them rolled over, other than that they were all uncooperative to give me any information.

Seal #1 and #2 were next to each other, one behind the other. It's unclear in the photo but through the scope I could clearly see them
Seal 1 U/U larger in size darker coat (but it was wet)
Seal 2 U/U although at one point it did turn and I thought it was a female, but can not swear to it. This seal had an older coat.
Seal #3 U/M newer coat good size but slightly smaller than #1 and #2
Seal #4 U/U looked to be thin, and was covered in sand. Honestly it was by accident I noticed it at first. It appears to have a scar mid torso. I think maybe a male, but hard to tell with all the sand.
Seal #5 was left of the first blue sign. U/F  showed her belly, but then turned over. I did not see any tags.
Seal #6 UU this critter showed me nothing. Hind flippers I could see bright orange tags Because of the position I couldn't tell the critters size.

 RN14 Kalani
RL42 Leia
 RIP RR70
Ka'ale RH32
 RIP & Kaale
Rabbit Island

No comments: