Thursday, June 28, 2012

6-27-2012 Sharkbite's Send Off

Aloha Good People!
Below are some words shared by Barbara Billand along with Team Billands' photos.... I am also including some photos KathySagum shared as well.  I think you will all agree the special spirit that gathered tonight to honor T15 Sharkbite.  Personally I was not able to attend.... So I am grateful for everyone sharing their experience.... I do believe the love and care we have for our monk seals bonds us all together. I also want to say I am sharing the images and words with the utmost respect for Sharkbite's memory and everyone who attended. 

As I sat on shore, I felt this great urge to make a sand sculpture of Sharkbite in his memory. Well, the waves and wind took care of the sculpture and thats ok...it was for his spirit.
Folks started arrivng around 5:30pm...most everyone there by 6pm or just after.
Mat and La akea were the Hawaiian Practitioners who did the ceremony...

And Mr. Schofield explained who ever wanted to spread ashes of Sharkbite to come forward Man I was up and ready....I never expected that...not in a millions years. I cried to have this awesome opportunity TO TOUCH OUR BELOVED SHARKBITE...TOUCH HIS SOUL. Oh my god...I was in Heaven with his spirit going through my body. It was pure emotions all coming out of me...and I was so proud, NOAA and Mat and La akea asked us to be a part of this ceremony. Rob was busy opening the gates for the visitors coming in...I was looking for him as I wanted him to be a part of this too. I thought he was going to miss this...but then he finally came back to shore. I asked Matt if one more person could help with the ashes...AND ROBERT MADE IT....I saw his face...his reaction to be apart of Sharkbite with me and the others.

ANd then Matt asked if anyone wanted to speak of Sharkbite...no one raised their hand...So I came to speak...It was so over whelming to talk of him...my hero. But for some reason, all the words came pouring out of my mouth...It was so spiritual. I really didnt care how I looked, or who was there...Sharkbite....thats who mattered to me and Rob.

Time for spreading of ashes...I was the first to stick my fat hands into Sharkbite...all I could think of WOW..THIS IS SHARKBITE, I am holding his spirit, his soul. Oh my god. I bent down in the water, gently releasing Sharkbite...wow, wow....I just cried and cried. I bid him farewell...one by one each person got to do the same...even Rob.

The next thing..Matt asked Rob and I to release all of the ashes, make sure that bag was emptied completely. Well, at first it was easy, then for some Reason, Sharkbite didnit want to let go...We waited for the waves and finally....Sharkbite was FREE FREE. Wow...Wow...Rob and I let Sharkbite go...it was the greatest feeling I have felt...truly amazing

The other volunteers that came by were June Kawamata, Kathy, Nelson, Leslie, Diane G., Karen Turner, Vera and son, Brenda Becker...I was thrilled to see her..she said she met Sharkbite in the 80's, North Western Hawaiian Islands. She says she misses him alot.  Audrey and husband, all the Aqua Crew and Kids, Dera, David, Kimo, and more...I forget, sorry.

I will never ever forget this Ceremony, NEVER. Being apart of something so big......is quite extraordinary!!!!!!!! I will always feel Sharkbites soul, as HE WAS MY HERO...He said....NEVER GIVE UP.....
Farewell T15M, B

photos from Kathy

2 comments:

Dana Jones said...

I first met Sharbite and monk seals from the Billands, January 2007. The history is now told on this great and special seal. I know, for me, his survival and relocation from Laysan started a love and respect that I will never forget. My first introduction in training was a picture of Sharkbite with the huge side wound. He survived!! Brenda knew him first on Laysan. He had already lost the right flipper. I think she said 1989. It was an emotional, but inspiring ceremony today. Thank you to everyone that made this such a special way to honor Sharkbite. June's roses were the final touch, Sharkbite had flowers and petals that reminded me of Don Ho's send off. Flower petals in the water and blowing along the beach. It was beautiful.

Liz said...

So sorry I was working and had to miss it- it sounds like it was a lovely way to send him off. Thanks for sharing