Friday, June 1, 2012

6-1-2012 DB's Dailies: U/M@RI, Kolohe@SC, Kaiwi@LL, Irma@MB, Pohaku@Sec.Bch, M&M@WP, Right Spot@Sunset Bch, Benny@SB


At 0650 in the early morning haze I saw yesterday's U/M once again just right of 3BS on Rabbit Island. Unfortunately, he was gone when I got back to the pier at 0916. He would be there when I got back at 1430, however I was staring at a male belly the whole time, and he never gave me any other view. I'm now leaning toward T21M, but ??????????

At 0801 Gayle and I found Kolohe (RW22) doing 8 minute dives at Spitting Cave.

Gayle called at 0912 with the report of Kaiwi (RK96), in her cave at Lanai Lookout. The Elves spent most of their day with her.

At 1120 on a routine check, I found Irma (R010) at Makapuu Beach. Nobody had ever called about her, and according to witnesses she had been there about an hour. I picked up the rope at 1945. Irma remains.

Team Billand checked in at 0841 with the report of Pohaku (RO28) at Secret Beach, KoOlina.

At 0953 the Billands found M&M (R020) at the east end fence line, White Plains. She was gone on their 1430 check.

At 1003 Ocean Safety called with the report of an animal newly hauled out to Mother's Beach, Sunset. I notified Dana. At 1431 Dana confirmed the Right Spot (R016) ID.

Colleen sent mail at 1310 advising that she had found a seal swimming along the Diamond Head coastline, wanting to haul out, but the throngs of beach people followed along and the animal was never able to haul out. Some even tried to touch it. She last track at Jim Nabors house as the animal continued in an easterly direction.

Cut to 1700. I got a rash of calls from Sandy Beach posse people advising that an animal was trying to haul out at the Half Point rocks, but the adoring hordes lined the beach and it was not able to do so. The hordes also followed as it swam down the beach front to the east. At 1706 I got on the scene and saw the mob now at the east end sewer outfall, and therrrrrrrrrrrrre was Benny, in the shallows !!! He was still trying to haul out but it just couldn't happen with all the people and barking dogs. I got just a quick glimpse as he continued east. Though I checked the coastline I did not see him again . A Rabbit Island mission ??? A Molokai mission ??? Only Benny knows. Stay tuned fans. same seal station, same seal setting......

 Irma @ Makapuu Beach
 Kutest Kaiwi @ Lanai Lookout
 
 Kolohe @ Spitting Cave
 M+M @ White Plains
 okay so M+M stands for: mega momma, 
 massive monk, 
 RO28/Pohaku @ secret beach
 pretty darn cute
 Unidentified Male @ Rabbit Island 

3 comments:

Darlene Van Elslander said...

I think it is truly sad that the poor seals are unable to haul out to rest on the beach because of "adoring" fans. I wish more could be done to stop people from this kind of behavior. Is it a matter of resources that more can not be done to help the seals? I only wished I lived on O'ahu so I could help you out! I am from Canada and follow your blog faithfully every day. I think the posse is amazing and you are all doing such a great job!

Donna - President said...

Darlene,
Thank you so much for your support and being a fan of the blog. As you can see there are many of us "volunteers" that are out there trying to look after the seals and educate the public, and it's an uphill battle. I like to believe 95% is just innocent ignorance, getting caught up in the excitement of seeing the seal (I confess the first time I saw one, I (lowers my head) did the same thing).....

3% are those people who feel no one is going to tell me what i can do or not do....

2% are complete *&^%&**(( mean evil folk.

We do our best, but when you deal with crowded beaches, we often times have to be concerned with our own safety.

I have come to believe that in the end it's probably best the seal isn't able to haul out to the beach when it's crowded.... maybe he'll find a better spot, one where he won't be bothered.

Perhaps some day you will visit from Canada and you can see one of our endangered monk seals.

Donna a.k.a blog lady

Darlene Van Elslander said...

Hi Donna,
Thank you for the reply and insight into why people behave the way they do. I just want the Monk Seals to be able to do what they do and not be disturbed. On the other hand as for visiting to O'ahu. We go every year for the month of April. We have been privileged to see a few Monk Seals on our trips. We found out about the blog this year because we were lucky enough to bump into DB at Spitting Cave and he told us about the blog. He even inducted us into the Monk Seal Posse. We will be back to the island in April and will do our part to help the Monk Seals in any way we can!! Please consider us the Canadian arm of the Monk Seal Posse!! Aloha D