Thursday, June 14, 2012

6-14-2012 DB Dailies:


At 0611 I found M&M (R020) and Pup (D#2), once again at Rocky Right Beach, on Rabbit Island. The were high on the beach, and visible until about 0830 when they moved down near the water line, where they became partially visible at best.

Also a 0611 I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22) on the water front rocks, right side Seal Rock Inlet, RI. He would remain at that location all day.

Whew !!! it was not a flashback last night ! At 0824 Sadie (RB12) moved into view from behind the dunes and Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS. She moved to the left end rock flats and snoozed away the day. Her D#4 molt is 60%.

At 1050 Nani (RK60) hauled out, 40 ft left of 1BS. She moved up and remained there the rest of the day.
On my 1630 RI check, from MO all I could see was M&M and the pup, still at RRB.

From Makai Pier, at 1643, I found Sadie right where I'd left her, on the left end rock flats, but now Nani had joined her.

Team Billand checked in at 1003 to advise that they were following an animal in the near shore waters of White Plains and Kalaeloa Campgrounds. The critter was heading west at a leisurely pace. At 1152 they advised that Irma (R010) had finally hauled out to Al's Bench, Kalaeloa Campgrounds.

A late afternoon, forwarded email from Lesley brought communication on Facebook between Anisa and posse member Debi about "N6" (Right Spot, R016) and a turtle at Alligator Rock today. Thank you to all, for getting the word to the last Non-Facebooker (?), knuckle dragging, Neanderthal left on the planet.
The seal whisperer doesn't have time for facebook..... we got you covered on scouting the facebook pages, there are enough of us out there to cover ya.

 MM and pup Day 2
  Nani
 Sadie and Nani
 Right Spot at Alligator Rock 
 Hmmm looks like Irma got her own iPad.... what the heck does she have in her mouth?
 She's either ready to sneeze or bellow
 Big Momma looking good

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we got to Plains, we met up with Mike Nii, a surfer..we befriended through seals. He was frantically looking for signs to put up. There werent any, someone broke our box that held our signs and ropes, and took our ropes. Any ways, Mike was sharp, as he went and got cones for the seal that was about to haul in. BUT..the seal didnt haul up and kept going. Mike went to work, he tried.

We followed the seal from 9:20am. It made its way passed the cabins, and ended up out at Kalaeloa. We drove around and waited, and waited. FINALLY..here comes this seal, S l o w l y. I mean real slow. Here is where we saw the seal was IRMA. Next..Miss Irma saw crap in the water..mans rubbish floating near by. She started to play with this rubbish. We couldnt make out all the objects she had except for this one plastic, bento box. Miss Irma tossed it about, held it in her mouth, barked at it as it floated away. Pretty funny. She even wore it on her head.
Around 11:39...Miss Irma came a shore, first rolling in the surf like Kermit..well she is fat and pregnant. She looked so fat, her layers of blubber were like waves of Jello, rippling like. Man she is beautiful...and so sweet, plowed her face in the earth, staying in that ostritch position forever. Tadaaaaa...she made it. Phew...that took forever...we just stood there gazing at this gigantic blimp..there was no one in the area..so..we didnt put out any equipment. Tried to phone in our hauled out seal and the reception wouldnt let us. We had to drive out to the road...and Miss Irma would be our only seal today. Thats ok, as Miss Irma gave a good show. I never seen an adult play with crap in the water, mostly pups.

Anonymous said...

First of all, If anyone sees a seal hauling out, it should be reported to NOAA's Seal Hotline so they can keep track of these awesome seals...

And secondly, Rob and I arent facebookers, we like the BLOG..so thats why no one makes comments any more huh? That explains the GHOST TOWN of DA BLOG??? So DB, you and us guys are the last people on earth...not on Face Book. And thats ok...we keep Donna in the business...he. he.

Dinasaurs still exist......he. he.Hey, we're like the monk seals, LIVING FOSSILS!!!! In a modern world.

Lesley - Mkt and Events said...

Dear DB & B's,
The blog is still going strong and reaching more and more people. Your contribution is priceless. At every outreach we do we send people to it. Every photo we take we let people know that it will probably be on the blog that day, etc... you'd be surprised how many people read it daily.
As for scanning FB and other medias we are constantly doing it and keeping you informed. For a longtime now I've been DBs eyes on FB ;)
May I suggest that you put your name or initials when you write. You're a very special person and "anonymous says" doesn't make you justice
Have a nice a safe weekend.
Aloha, Lesley

Heide said...

Not a ghost town! We are all just stalkers who read but never comment! Your comments add so much to the story, Barb, and I always read them! Thanks for posting .'...and now you know the rest of the story' for us!

P.S. My 'pup' is 6 weeks old now and barely 8 lbs. She and I are chomping at the bit to get out to see the seals.

Anonymous said...

Heidi!!! I been thinking of you!! I was wondering if you gave birth first or if M and M did. How cute...a baby girl, CONGRATULATIONS KID!!!! Ok whats her name??? WHo does she look like???

I would like to add...for some time now, THE BLOG refuses to accept my NAME..It only takes anonymous...thats the ONLY way my comments go on. I dont know how to fix it..and Donna couldnt either. We both tried. And I try to remember to put..B. But sometimes I forget.

I have a 30 second memory.


OOPPS....B.

Anonymous said...

Miss Lesley, I think you are taking my comment out of proportion. I only said Da BLog is a Ghost Town..Meaning, no one comments any more.
I love DA BLOG..thats how we met two great ladies from Molokai..Val and Diane.

I never said anything of your keeping us informed. Know what I'm saying?

And I also said, you are all on FACE BOOK...thats it.

Da Blog is for all of us monk seal guys, sharing our concerns, our monk seal moments, our heart breaking times...but lately, no one comments.

The photos that are posted are super cool, I love the Kaiwi shots from June guys...sensational.

I love the DB shots of M and M and her new pup..so sweet.

And I love that the STALKER, HEIDI, responded and mentioned she finally had her baby...awe...da cute.

As for sharing this blog with the public, I kind of shy away from that..as we have lots of photos of silly people close to seals etc. Dont want to offend any one...I only share the blog with really kind souls who love seals and understand what we are all trying to do. Keep them safe..let them bask in peace.

Have a nice weekend....B.

Donna said...

Hi Bloggers! Just so you know we average about 250 views a day... on the high side I see over 300, and on the low 210. We have plenty of regular viewers. just not everyone makes comments. I would like to encourage more people to say something, even if it's hello, thank you, nice photo, team kermit or team benny :-) As long as there are daily reports and photos, I will be blogging, no matter what I am doing. I so appreciate all your support throughout the last few years. da blog lady