Saturday, June 2, 2012

6-2-2012 DB's Dailies: Kolohe&M38@RI, Buster@LL, Kaiwi@SC, T21M@Kawela Bay, Noa@Maili Pt


At 0623 on my first look at Rabbit Island I found two animals out on the left end rock flats, At 0640 I would confirm one as Kolohe , and later in the day I finally confirmed the other as M38, the mystery animal of the last 3 days. The wind and salt spray were down enough today to allow me to see his posterior , dorsal abscess, and his left side natural bleach.

At 0943 Gayle called with the report of an animal ("not Kaiwi") at Lanai Lookout. When I arrived at 1001 I found Buster (RV08) snoozin' in one of the caves at LL.
On my 1310 recheck of Spitting Cave, I found Kaiwi (RK96) doing 7 minute dives below the ladder.

Lesley called at 0805 from Kawela Bay with the report of T21M hiding in beach front greenery. So much for my thought that he might be my RI U/M. Obrigado Lesley !

Team Billand checked in at 0944 with the report of a foraging animal off of Maili Pt. At 1430 the animal finally hauled out, and at 1447 the Noa (R6FI) was made.

Marilyn did the Ka'ena Point trek today, and found Ka'ena (RO40) at the end of the world.

In the Yesterday's News department I go mail from Dennis Kunkel who reported finding R5AY at the Kahuku Golf Course, and La'akea at Kahuku Pt, on last Friday. La'akea had been confirmed at that location the day before, but the R5AY find was a complete surprise. Thank you Dennis !

 M38 all by his lonesome on Rabbit Island
 Buster @ Lanai Lookout
 Kaiwi @ Spitting Cave 
 T21M - hmmm looks like he had a little accident 
there ya go... obviously had too much to drink 
 wonder why he is hiding under the shrubs
 poor guy - actually seal spew is very common... I'm just having a little fun
 Ka'ena  RO40
 Let's just indulge for a moment.... scene: woman walks up to seal to get that "kodak moment" seal rears his head up and bellows a huge roar, and then spew yellow vomit across. The woman is startled slips and falls back on her butt.... and is rained on by bright yellow seal vomit. end scene :-)
 Noa swimming out at Maili Point
 very sweet little guy

4 comments:

Vera said...

Oh Donna, you did it again - laughing tears early Sunday morning!

Di Molokai said...

Hey GF,
I know that you had a bad week but thank God, you've still got your sense of humor. Just know that you always have an invite to chill out here!!!! Good thoughts coming your way.

Anonymous said...

Young Noa is so very cute looking......he SHOULD be in pictures! Barb "gets" him.

Lesley - Mkt and Events said...

It's been very special to find T21M, an old friend of SharkBite T15M from way back when. My last encounter with him was on a little beach never know to have had a seal visit out in Portlock at the beguinning of the year.
He sure knows how to pick his haul out places.
Early this morning I went out to check. He overnighted.
Donna he seems to have "recoverd from his hangover" -
mid morning he turned around and faced the ocean, probably waiting for the high tide to come get him.
Aloha, Lesley