Wednesday, June 13, 2012

6-13-2012 DB's Dailies: MM&Pup, Kolohe,Duke,Nani@RI, Benny@KBP&SB, Kaiwi@LL, Kekoa@LL&SC, Irma@KCG, Kerby@Maili Pt, RI37@Laniakea


At 0615, from the Makapuu Overview I found M&M (R020) and Pup, on D#1 at once again at Rocky Right Beach, Rabbit Island. They would move down and out of sight at 0830. I only got partial glimpses for the remainder of the day.

At 0702 I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22)and Duke (RA12) hauling out together to the water front rocks on the right side of Seal Rock Inlet, on RI. They would remain there all day.

At 0949 another animal attempted to haul out to their location, but Kolohe had the high ground and would not allow the new arrival to haul out. I lost the animal after that, but thought at the time that it was probably Benny, though I had no proof at all.

At 0740 Nani (RK60) hauled out 80 ft left of 1BS on RI. She would remain all day.

Because I had Benny on the brain, as mentioned above, I kept an eye on Kaupo Beach Park, to my right at the pier. I'm always on the lookout for groups of people standing on the beach, looking at the water. When I saw that at KBP, and put the scope on the area, therrrrrre was Benny's swimming head in the near shore waters, doing a "drive by" of the beach. He was there just 2 days ago so I wasn't all that surprised to see him. He disappeared around the rocks, headed in a Makapuu direction. I relocated to KPB and spoke with witnesses, who promised to send photos. Paul Beatham's photo clearly shows the KPB visitor as Benny. I then went to the Overview to check on M&M and pup from that angle. They were only partially visible.

AT 1213 I got a call from Ocean Safety (Lifeguards) reporting an animal just hauling at Half Point, at Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1220 I found Benny (RE74) just reentering the water, with the adoring hordes at the water line following as he swam to the east. I managed to get them to say back, and allow him to haul out, which he did at the far east end of Sandy Beach. He galumphed up and onto the sewer outfall east of the beach. I got him cordoned off, and he has remained the rest of the day.

At 0750 posse member Gayle called with the report of Kaiwi (RK96), snoozin' at Lanai Lookout.

At 1208 posse member Teri called from her perch at Lanai Lookout to report that she had just seen Kekoa (RK72) swim by, headed west.

Teri would called again at 1352 with the report of Kekoa doing 5 minute dives at Spitting Cave. The Elves are awesome !!

Tracy called at 0941 with the report of Irma (R010), at Al's Bench, Kalaeloa Campgrounds.

Team Billand called at 1352 to report Kerby (RW08) at Maili Point.

The Billands called again at 1450 to advise that Alan, a Honu Guardian at Laniakea , had called them to report RI37 there. He had cordoned her off, but she departed after 10 minutes, probably due to the adoring hordes.

Kimo called at 1803 to advise that Benny was gone from SB. Witnesses said he had left 5 minutes earlier. We picked up the stuff, and continued on.

Teri called at 1832 to advise that Kaiwi had departed Lanai Lookout.

From the Makapuu Overview, at 1840 I could see all of today's cast, and an additional animal in the Morning Glory, left of 1BS, however when I got to the pier I couldn't see anybody. I went back to MO, and sure enough the animal was no longer visible from there. Either it was yet another 70's Crater Festival Flashback, and maybe Sadie who has been MIA all day, and she moved to her hiding spot behind the sand dune. Tomorrow morning will tell the tale.

MM and pup 
 Kolohe and Duke 
 Benny cruising by 
 Benny at Sandy's
 Kaiwi @ Lanai Lookout... 
 This is so cute.... I know June (photographer) has a really great camera and lens.... and I know she does not get close to the seals that they would even react.... but you have to admit the next couple of pics do look like she's modeling for the camera.
 ms kaiwi you're a ham!
 Kekoa swimming by 
 Big Momma Irma at Kalaeloa campgrounds
 Kerby doing crunches at Maili Point

No comments: