Wednesday, June 20, 2012

6-20-2012 DB's Dailies

At 0629 I found M&M (R020) and Pup (D#8), still at Rocky Right Beach, Rabbit Island. The moved up and down with the tide, and all appear happy and well.

At 0650 I got a call from posse member , Kalae who lives near the "Magnum House" in Waimanalo. He was reporting a large animal leisurely swimming and foraging in the near shore waters behind his house. When I arrived I saw the animal for about 5 minutes, but could not make an ID.

When I got back to Makai Pier for my 2nd look at Rabbit Island, secretary, Brandee advised that she had seen "a really big seal" at the pier, just outside her office, about 5 minutes before. By now I was beginning to get a inkling of who this might be, so when I set up for Rabbit Island observations, I kept an eye on Kaupo Beach Park, from my perch. Sure enough, at 0833 on a pan with the scope, I found an animal out on the off shore rocks at KPB. When I arrived at 0840 I found KC (RK28). Since she was well of shore and not visible from the beach, I elected to return to the Pier where I could keep an eye on her. However, when I got to the pier at 0908, she was no longer there, so it was back to KBP to confirm that. Knowing who it was now made the next check a virtual certainty, so I relocated to a spot on the road above Makapuu Beach. Sure enough at 0943 KC caming swimming onto the beach. I went down and cordoned her off and she has remained all day. I picked up the rope at 1945. KC remains. Tomorrow ????

While working on KC, I got a call from Martha at Hanauma Bay reporting "N21" on the left side rock flats. When I arrived at 1034 I confirmed the Buster (RV08) ID. He remained there until he was washed off the flats by the high tide at 1615, according to posse member Ethel.

Gayle would call at 1734 to advise that she and Teri were looking at Buster, foraging at Spitting Cave.
When I got back to Makai Pier at 1150 I found that Kolohe (RW22) had arrived, at Seal Rock Inlet. He would later relocate, and on a pan at 1302 I found him in the company of Sadie (RB12) up in the Morning Glory, left of 1BS .
Team Billand called at 0800 with the report of Kerby (RW08) at Maili Point.

The Elves will have a piece on their Kauai trip to see Rocky & Pup, and others, so look for that in the morning. I've attached some of their photos to the dailies. In addition to Rocky&pup, they found RK30& pup and a weaned RL14 (KP2's little brother), as well as RK22 (his mom) and others.

.
 M+M and pup 
 KC resting comfortably 
 So Ms KC where you going? When you going to have your little bambino
 Buster boy @ Hanauma Bay
 Kerby back at Maili Point...