Monday, May 4, 2020

05/04/2020 Stay-At-Home (42) Monday Memory of Honey Girl

I first met Honey Girl in March 2015.  I saw a story on the news, a monk seal gave birth and a group was looking for volunteers to help monitor mom and pup.  Dave and I have been seeing seals for years from our Ka’ena Point hikes, but now we could become more involved. I signed us up for the next training class.  A couple of weeks later, on our way to class we stopped by the pup site and watched Honey Girl and Ola Loa.  It was our first mom and pup, we were hooked.  After our classroom training and a few beach trainings we were now Monk Seal Foundation volunteers.  I soon met DB and was truly astonished by how much he knew, but more grateful for how much her shared.  My circle of seal friends soon grew, I continue to learn from them and always grateful to them for answering my many seal questions that I seem to always have.  For me, Honey Girl’s story is more about her impact on my personal life.  Honey Girl was an amazing matriach, I am thankful that I got to meet her, 6 of her kids, and all 5 of her grandkids.  Her contribution to my life is much more than the priveldge of watching her, her offspring, and other seals.  Because of Honey Girl I have met an amazing group of people.  It started out as a group of seal friends and has turned into so much more.  We are not only there for each other for the ups and downs of the seal world, we are there for each other for the ups and downs of life.  Because of Honey Girl I became a volunteer and found my passion for seals.  Because of Honey Girl I have met people who have enriched my life more than they’ll ever know.  Thank you Honey Girl, thank you.      Tammy
Thank you Tammy and Thank you Dave - Team T&D

No comments: