Wednesday, December 19, 2012

12-18-2012 DB's Dailies: Kaiwi&M38@RI, Buster@SB, Makaiwi@KCG, Irma@WSK, Kermit@WP, Pohaku@Secrets, RI37@Laie


My first two trips through the SE quadrant were a bust, but at 0854 I found Buster (RV08) just hauling out at the east end of Sandy Beach. I got him cordoned off just milliseconds before we were overwhelmed by a bus load of Chinese tourists. He has remained the rest of the day. He was gone on my 1806 check.

Rabbit Island had been Monk Seal free on my first two passes but at 0938 I found M38 fronting Right Greenery, and Kaiwi (RK96) in her usual spot in the grass behind Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island. She would later move down. Both remained the rest of the day.

Posse member Ron called at 0840 from the SW quadrant with the report of "Y02" (V02), at Kalaeloa Campgrounds, and an U/U near Nimitz Beach. I immediately called Team Billands at they confirmed Makaiwi (R4DF) (V02) at KCG, and Irma (R010) at Wind Sock. She would depart at 1700.

At 0956 the Billands found Kermit (R012) fronting 1706, White Plains.

At 1045 Team Billand found Pohaku (RO28) at Secrets, KoOlina. She would depart at 1755.

Dana called at 1124 to advise that Azlina had reported RI37 near her house in Laie, at 1045. 
Azlina's photos confirm the RI37 ID. She had just spent Sunday with me near the pier, and today she is in Laie. That's pretty good time for a short, chubby girl.


 Buster at Sandys
 RI37 in Laie 
 This girl covered some ground.
 Hmmmmm...... so much I can say... All which would be unprofessional and I know I have a number of children who read this blog.... So all I will say, is this woman needs a bullseye on her butt and a good swift kick. REALLY her lens isn't big enough to get a good shot without being that close???  Again this is when I wish one of our seal would just rear up and vomit right into the camera lens.  Hmmmm I guess this is a good place to stop.
 bahhhhhhhhhhh
 Here's Pohaku (ro28)  
 see perfectly good shots without getting too close
 Hi 5
Sheeeeeeee's Back!  4DF Maka'iwi back on Oahu
 She's a big girl now
 
Kermit @ White Plains
 Irma @ Wind Sock

1 comment:

barbara said...

Yesterday, we recieved several calls from a lady that people were in the face of a seal at Secrets. We were busy with three OTHER SEALS and couldnt respond right away. But I told the caller, WE WILL COME AS SOON AS WE GET THESE THREE ANIMALS SET UP!!

So when we finally get to Secrets...there is this lady in black, pretty lady, right at Pohaku's FACE, taking photos of WHAT??? Her teeth??? We were shocked to see the lady so close. And poor Pohaku was whooping her, leaping at her...did this woman STOP???? NO..she kept at it.
Finally..my juglar vein was about to pop..I asked her to step away, but she continued. I got louder, told her she was violating an endangered animal. That the seals are protected by....BLAH.BLah. BLAh.I was insanely angry.

I explained all I could in zero to sixty seconds...Rob tried to..and FINALLY..THis lady in black leaves site. Pohaku clearly upset..and we learned there were many other folks who did the same thing. The report said, A seal is in the Lagoon, people are taking photos in the seals face from the water. The seal is vicious, snapping at the peoples face!!!! I advised the caller, get the folks back, tell them all the seal wants to do is haul up shore to rest...caller agreed and went down to advise folks. But as you can see, the lady in black didnt listen to the pleas.

Here at Secret Beach...people go up close to Pohaku all the time. I dont know why this poor female returns to this spot...you would think, she could find a less populated space to rest. BUT I guess if you swim all night for food way off shore, YOU NEED THE BEACH TO RECOVER. I wish with my soul, I had some way of comunicating to POHAKU, Secrets is NOT THE PLACE TO GO.

Help came with other volunteers..thank heavens. We were out there from 10 something to 1pm.
Thanks Linda S., BJ and Robin for coming out.

It amazes me how one can just walk up to a Monk Seal, talk to it, nearly petting it, putting kids along side a seal..not thinking, that seal may get pissed off one day and take a good bite out of your skin!!! I mean, Pohaku does snap at these people, we see it all the time. And she never approaches humans, THEY APPROACH HER!!!

Any one got a suggestion on how to keep folks away from Hawaiian Monk Seals at Secrets???

Miss Pohaku remained out there most of the day till 5:50pm per Linda S. So glad she finally moved on.

I love Pohaku, she is a beautiful innocent Hawaiian Monk Seal...I promise to take care of her since her mother was brutally MURDERED in 2009 on Kauai. I wish I had a solution to Pohakus constant..DISTURBANCE at secrets.

I also want to add, we met many other respectful people...who read our signs and listend to our Seal 101 on the beach. Thanks Guys!!