Tuesday, July 24, 2012

7-24-2012 DB's Dailies


I was out the door dark and early, fully expecting to find a weaned pup in my immediate future. When I arrived at the Makapuu Overview at 0553 I found that was not the case. Not only were M&M (R020)&Pup (D#42) still there together, but there also was, what later would prove to be, Kolohe (RW22 right there with Mom & Pup at the vegetation line at the back of Rocky Right Beach. In those first few seconds of recognition of what I was seeing, Kolohe began to move away. The pup immediately began to follow him as he headed down toward the water. Each time Kolohe looked back that scary fat thing was right on his heels. I've seen the phenomenon before. There is apparently nothing in the world more dreaded by a young male Monk Seal than a fat pup headed toward you ! Kolohe beat flipper to the water and the pup stopped at the water line. Mom had never moved to this point. She then moved down and she and the pup entered the water. Kolohe hung out , well away from them for a few minutes and then I lost him. I would later (0844) hauled out to the left end rock flats, where he remained the rest of the day.
M&M and pup would be visible only from the Makapuu Overview I found them doing feeds on my 0824, 0942, and 1118 checks. I did additional afternoon checks, the last being at 1830, but 1118 was my last look at Mom & the kid today.

M&M weaned her 2009 pup (Mikala) at 39 days, and her 2011 pup (Nani) at 42 days. This year is obviously going to be different. Stay tuned.... the adventure continues !

Gayle called at 0747 with the report of Buster (RV08) at Spitting Cave.

Zeeny called at 1050 to advise that she and Gayle were now with Buster at Irma's Grotto, Kokee Flats.

A brief Buster note. Buster is named for the Olympic swimmer, Buster Crabbe. I can just hear the whippersnappers now...Buster WHOOO ?????? Trust me.... Google him ! Both Zeeny and Gayle got something I've been trying to get for a long time.... A Buster Crabbe shot .

At 1520 I did a Spitting Cave check and found Buster doing 7 minute dives.

Dana called at 1000 with word of animals at Paradise Cove, and Banyan Tree Beach, KoOlina.

Team Billand was on it , as usual , and confirmed Pohaku (RO28) at Banyan, and Irma (R010) at PC.
Pohaku departed at 1830. Irma remained at the end of the day.

Check da' blog in the morning for Team Billands day.

 Buster @ Kokee Flats 
 Buster the torpedo
 Buster practicing his Olympic swim

No comments: