Friday, July 20, 2012

7-21-2012 DB's Dailies: M&M,Pup(D#38)@RI, Kaiwi@LL, RI37&2AW@Makaha, Benny@LahiLahi, Kerby@Maili Pt, Right Spot@Sunset


At 0628 I found M&M (R020)&Pup(D#38) at the vegetation line at the back of Rocky Right Beach. On my 0930 check they were in the midst of a water session, and at 1130 they were just above the water line doing a feed. When I got back to Makai Pier for the afternoon session at 1337 they hauled out to RRB, and did a long feed and a snooze. They were back in the water, with Mom in the lead, at 1604.

At 0659 I found Kaiwi (RK96) at Lanai Lookout. She has remained all day.
At 0835 Team Billand checked in with the report of RI37 at Makaha Beach. That little girl sure gets around.
At 0900 the Billands found Benny (RE74) at LahiLahi Pt. He doesn't appear to be molting yet, but he sure looks like he's thinkin' about it. One of a kind little dude that he is, he did 2 molts last year (July & November). It will be interesting to see what his plan is for this year.

At 1109 Dana called to advise that volunteer Debbie had reported 2 animal at Makaha Beach. One, RI37 was already known. They Billands responded and confirmed the other critter as 2AW. This was an interesting twosome today. RI37 and 2AW are the two animals in the Oahu population with matching "propellor scars" on their posterior dorsal, left side. Having them together with matching markers was unique.

Then Billands reported that they were both still there at 1730, and that Debbie was still there, having arrived at 1000. Way to go Debbie ! Ya' Done Good !!!

At 1128 Team Billand reported Kerby (RW08) at Maili Point.

Dera called at 1348 with the report of an animal at Sunset Beach. She advised that Jeannie Martinson was responding. The animal was gone when Jeannie arrived however a witness stated that there was an "N6" visible (Right Spot , R016).

Tracy called at 1010 with a couple of morsels of news. She advised that Lona (R017) is now in residence at Kalaupapa. She has not pupped yet, but her due date was 7-13, so I'd say she is there for a reason. We Shall See.

The other Tracy factoid was one I'd been waiting for , for some time now, and is the first tidbit in the "Gotta' Be" department here at da' blog. It has become known to me over the years that Kermit and I have been together, that he does a mission to the north each year, around the June to Sept time frame. He has been documented at Lehua Rock, Niihau & Nihoa. During those periods I'm constantly looking for photos or videos on Flickr or YouTube. So far that has not happened, however Tracy's call today brought news that a person on a Snorkel Tour out of Kauai, reported having seen an animal off Lehua Rock with tag # "4OG". There ain't no such numba' but 4DG (Kermit) was Tracy's opinion and its mine as well. Gotta' Beeee !!!!!

 Kaiwi's tail end 
Whoa what the heck ???
 It came up behind me I tell ya.... out of no where, hit me up side the head... those waves have a way of sneaking up on you!
 RI37 @ Makaha
 pleasingly plump
 RI37 and 2AW
 HUGE Kudos to Debbie for hanging out all day with these two....
 Benny boy... instead of two black eyes, he has two green eyes
 Benny at Lahi Lahi
Kerby @ Maili living on the edge 

1 comment:

barbara said...

Yesterday was full of things we went through, I dont know how we did them ALL in one day.

It began with dropping off some people at the airport. Have a breakfast, then on to the beach at 6am...to the SWQ..no animals there.

8:20am Makaha with the lovely, plesantly plump, I37 "IPO". Its been a while since finding her. She was just left of the Makaha Shores. Roped and signed off.
Educated.

9:00am Found Benny alone Lahilahi. He looks so crappy, grubby, but resting. There was this little dog barking at him and me the whole observation. He tried to come up to me, I held a drift wood in case he tried to bite. Naughty little bugger. Hope he didnt bother the BENNY.
9:30 Appt with the vet to put my loving COCO down. She was 14, the sweetest dog we ever owned. Its never easy to do this, put your best friend down, but it was her time to go. She stopped eating, stopped walking around the yard, barking. She would just sleep in her little dug out hole in the earth. Any ways, at the vets, she was clearly alert, wondering what was going on. I whispered in her ear, that we love her very much, but she is so sick that its time to go with the angels. They will come and take her to a better home and there she wont feel any pain.

After her shot, Miss COco just closed her eyes, and her soul melted away from us. She went so quickly, with class, not a whimper. God bless my sweet little angel...COCO. Home will never be the same without her. Thanks for being my frined sweet heart. I love you.

11am Found Kerby at Maili, snoozing away on the rocks.

12:39 Back to Makaha Beach with a second seal that hauled up next to I37. It was our good ole elder seal, 2AW. Man he is huge. He has been with I37 in the past..they look awesome together and it hit me..they both got PROP scars ... how unique I thought..Sort of cool.

Debbie would remain with the seals from 10 am to 5:30pm. What a trooper..I had to hug her. I told her all about COCO and she was just the person I needed to talk to,SHE LISTENED and was so comforting to me. Thanks Debbie. I really dont think Debbie should have to watch the seals, all alone all those many hours, Some one should have replaced her. We did our best dropping in to check on things, adjusting the poles and educating folks. Debbie stood in the rain too...heavy rains. Your work is appreciated DEBBIE.

1:00pm Left Debbie and the two seals.

2:30pm Appt to go to ....

3:33pm Back to Makaha with Debbie. All is good. TIde rising, so did the two seals. Adjust signs again.
4:30pm Left site, had to do some stuffs at my sisters place. NOw I found my sisters dog also not well..oh how sad. She too wouldnt eat..I just sat with her and brushed her fur.

5:00pm Back to Makaha. Seals remain. I had a chat with Debbie, I said its been a long day and we all need to go HOME. She agreed. But the seals were still high on shore, there are beach goers, surfers still. Well, we left the signs, took the ropes, said a prayer, and all three of us left site for the day. Hope all are respectful of our precious, innocent seals..I37 who lost three pups, 2AW our elder seal.

Amen,

B