Tuesday, July 3, 2012

7-2-2012 DB Dailies: M&M,Pup(D#20), Kolohe@RI, Irma@MB, Buster@SC&SB, Kaiwi@SC&LL, Ewa Girl@WSK


At 0535 I looked over the edge and found Irma (R010) still there, right where I'd left her last night at Makapuu Beach. I cordoned her off, and continued the day. It was pure luck that I happened to stop by for a recheck at 1017 and found Irma in the shore break. After hanging out for a while she galumphed into the water at 1027 and began foraging along the coastal rocks headed in a lighthouse direction. I humped down and picked up the stuff.

At 0622 I found M&M (R020)&Pup (D#20) at Rocky Right Beach, on Rabbit Island. They would move down,early in the morning, and were only partially visible the rest of the day. The only shot I could get of them was taken in the early morning glare.

At 0708 I first spied Buster (RV08) at 2nd Point at Spitting Cave, He was in travel mode and coming from further into Maunalua Bay. His next up was at the big rock and then he was at the point, and around the corner and gone, at 0739.

At 0739 the same scenario began to play out with Kaiwi (RK96). I saw her briefly at 2nd Point, and then again just as she was rounding the point, obviously she too was in travel mode.

Posse member Gayle would call at 1007 to report that she was with a newly arrived Kaiwi at Lanai Lookout. She remained the rest of the day.

On my 1140 check of Rabbit Island I found Kolohe (RW22) just hauling out to the left end of the island, 100 ft left of 1BS.

At 1332 Dera called with the report of "N21" on the rocks midway between the 2 bathrooms at Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1350 sure enough there was Buster (RV08) out on the rocks approximately 200 ft east of the sewer outfall at the east end of Sandy Beach. This guy is 7 years old , born at Rabbit Island and has traveled this coastline thousands of times. Today is the very first day that he has ever stopped at Sandy Beach ! I rechecked him at dark and he is still there.

Team Billand checked in ate 1052 with the report of Ewa Girl (RS00) at Wind Sock, Kalaeloa Beach. She would depart with the rising tide at 1201.

Regular readers are aware of the "Yesterday's News Department". Well, today yesterday doesn't even come close, so I have Special Edition of the first and probably only "Yesteryears News". Many, maybe even all of you know that we recently lost T15M (Sharkbite) due to complications of fish hook surgery. He was one of the old dudes. The first line in his history reads "T15M was first seen as a Subadult male, by Brenda Becker, at Laysan, 1987". Words are only words. Brenda passed her old shots on to Barbara Billand, and when I saw them I begged and groveled and Brenda "Yoda" Becker agreed to share them with you. That is sooooooo great. Thank you Brenda. As you will see they are from 1987,89& 90. In 87 he was a subadult (3 to 4 years old.
 
Irma @ Makapuu 
  Irma at the shore line @ Makapuu beach
 Buster @ Spitting Cave
 Buster's very first visit to Sandy Beach 
 Kaiwi @ Lanai Look out- Auntie Lesley looking over the edge
I think this is the fist time I felt dizzy looking over the edge through a photograph 
 super green
 Auntie Gayle got a a few shots in...
 Ewa Girl @ Wind sock
 The Grand Dame is looking like she is ready to settle soon
 Oh yes... perfect profile of a expecting momma
 And she makes an entrance with a splash

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Many mahalos to all who make positive contributions to this site via photographs and written updates. I enjoy the updates, and the visuals are always an added bonus! 

(Lauray). :)

Donna said...

Thank you Lauray....