Wednesday, July 11, 2012

7-11-2012 DB's Dailies: M&M,Pup (D#29)@RI, Buster & Kolohe@SC


At 0625 I found M&M (R020)&Pup (D#29) snoozin' near the vegetation line on Rocky Right Beach, Rabbit Island. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1150 both were in the near shore shallows doing a water session, but they were only partially visible. Another check at 1515 both were once again in snooze mode just above the shoreline, and once again only partially visible.

At 0705 I found Buster (RV08) doing 7 minute dives at Spitting Cave. He was still there when I departed at 0830.

Posse member Teri called at 0844 to advise that there was now a second animal at Spitting Cave. I arrived at 0852 and observed 2 animals on the surface, in close proximity, but operating independently. Teri said she had seen interaction when the 2nd animal first arrived. At 0910 I made the Kolohe (RW22) ID. I saw no interaction doing my observations. Buster was still doing 7 minute dives, while Kolohe was doing 10 minute dives. All activity was off shore of "the first point".

At 0943 I got just a quick glimpse of an an animal headed toward the point, fronting the Big Rock. After 0943 I saw neither animal again. Multiple checks of China Walls, and Kokee Flats, were fruitless.

I got no other reports from any other quadrant, including Team Billand. I guess it was just one a "them" days.
In the "Yesterday's News" department, Zeeny sent photos of La'akea (RK82), whom she found a few minutes walk beyond the Keiki Pool at Turtle Bay,and Right Spot (R016) near the trailers. Thank You Z !

Dana also forwarded an email from Shakakayaks, Scott Sundby with a shot of Ua Malie taken yesterday, near the end of Marconi Rd, Kahuku.

Buster and Kolohe playing at spitting cave
 Buster
 Kolohe 
 La'akea 
 She looks so little ... and in need a good molt
 
 Right Spot smiling for the camera
 Silly girl all covered with sand
 Ua' Maile

2 comments:

Wayne said...

When was the last T12 sighting? My wife and I saw T12 on Kauai in July of 2011 and have done a few Internet searches for T12, but never saw anything recent. Can you please let me know? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wayne... Go to http://kauaiseals.wordpress.com/ and scroll down the right had list on the right to T12 and click. Other Kauai seal sites might also have info. DB