Monday, December 26, 2011

12-26-11 DB's Dailies Kaiwi@SC&SB, Kolohe,Buster&M38@RI, U/U@MI


At 0813 we found Kaiwi (RK96) doing 9 minute dives at Spitting Cave. Marilyn and I departed at 0900, but Gayle stayed until 1000. Gayle reported that she had lost sight of Kaiwi a few minutes prior to her departure. At 1350 posse members Zeenie & Patrick called to advise that Kaiwi was just hauling out to Crappy Cove. Gayle ,June,Marilyn and I have been with her the remainder of the day. She was still there at dark.

While on the subject of Kaiwi, Bob Blanchard, a work associate of Marilyn's forwarded a photo to her of an animal in Maunalua Bay, yesterday. I put a dollar and both cats on Kaiwi !

At 0920 I got to Makai Pier to check out the Rabbit Island cast. I found Kolohe (RW22) and Buster (RV08) initially, but at 1043 I became aware that there was a 3rd animal hiding in the Morning Glory. It would prove to be RM38. All would move down to cool off, and remained the rest of the day.

At 1206 I got a call from Ocean Safety , reporting an animal in the trough at Magic Island. I called Dana immediately, and she later advised that an unnamed volunteer was on the scene. Awaiting confirming photos, but in the entire 15 million years of Monk Seal history, only Rocky has hauled out there. and DB has the dailies to prove it !

Team Billand checked in at 1315 with the report of Kermit (R012) at Tracks.

At 1432 they reported M&M (R020) fronting #1708 at White Plains.
Barbara called at 1555 to report a call from Dana about an animal at the Shooting Range at Ewa Beach. Posse member Clay Gates responded but there was nobody there when he arrived. 

Team Billand advised that they got a call about an animal at IRQ. Posse member Clay Gates responded, but alas, one again nobody was there.


 Buster RV08, Kolohe RW22, RM38
 U/U @ Kokee Beach... Probably Kaiwi - What a Great Shot!
 Kaiwi RK96 @ Crappy Cove 
 I can Fly! ... maybe not
 Okay then I'm heading for bed
 I'll just freshen up before I snooze
 ahhh relaxed at last

5 comments:

Dana Jones said...

Ok, not up on my marine debris or critters, what in the heck is that thing in Kaiwi's mouth?

kelly girl said...

I ask the same thing. Is that Kaiwi's body or the critter's body. If it's the critter's body is that eel or whatever it is 4-6ft long? Amazing shot!

kelly girl said...

Looks like it could be a Many Banded Moray. Check this link to look at all of the eels Hawaii has:

http://www.meandmephoto.com/Underwater/Hawaii/Pages/Eels/Banded.html

Donna said...

I think it's a ribbon from her holiday gift...

Karen Bryan said...

Kaiwi is enjoying a zebra moray and what a fantastic picture!!! (poor moray!)