Friday, December 16, 2011

12-16-11 DB Dailies and More

 I was on the road at 0615, but it would be 0711 before I found my first critter. I found Irma (R010) on the beach , 200 yds east of the Kealahou light at Irma's.  I got her cordoned off , and she has remained all day. At 0930 Bleach Boy, Mark arrived and got a right side, mid body N3 bleach on her. It seen to take alright. At 1813 I picked up the stuff. Irma had departed.

At 1000 on my 2nd Rabbit Island check, I found Kolohe (RW22), RM38, and Nani (RK60) on Rabbit Island. All would remain there all day.

Volunteer Marie and I met at Crappy Cove and noon, and began the afternoon adventure. Nobody was home at the Cove, so we went to check Irma at Irma's and then checked AD's. We found nobody. Upon our arrival at Spitting Cave at 1245 we spoke with site visitors, who told us they had seen a "small seal" just moments before. At 1250 we sighted Kaiwi (RK96) at SC. It was a less than 30 seconds visit but I clearly saw her transmitter, and N19 bleach. Marie, Michele and I remained there but never saw her again. At 1400 I walked the Kokee Flats, and checked China Walls, and Fingers, but again , did not find her. Posse member Gayle hung at SC but she too did not see Kaiwi.  I have do not have a photo of today's encounter, but I  have Marie as a witness that it was Kaiwi, and not a 1072 1972 Crater Festival flashback.  I will offer up a shot of Kaiwi,  taken by diver Paul Hasley taken on 12-14-11 instead. DB you're NOT that old.... ;-)
Lucky Marie got to hang out with DB.... Sorry guys I couldn't make my shift this afternoon. Things are getting a little crazy.

Team Billand reported Kermit (R012) fronting #1707 at White Plains at 1027.

Dana called at 1102 advising that Diane and Vera had found La'akea (RK82) at Turtle Bay.

Dana called again at 1652 to advise that volunteer Candy Green had found R5AY behind her house in Hauula.

Irma @ Irma's .... would have been cool if Kaiwi showed up
 Irma N3 
 Nani @ Rabbit Island
 La'akea @ Turtle Bay among the ironwood needles and cones
 Kermit at White Plains 
 
 Beautiful Sunset... thanks Barb

No comments: