Friday, December 2, 2011

12-2-11 DB Dailies and More

We were out dark and early on the quest, but had no luck. Dera's morning email said that transmitter data from 1900 last night said Kekoa (RK72) was at the Reef Runway, and Kaiwi (RK96) was in the Maunalua Bay area.

 At 1237 The Donna called to advise that she and Tammy had found Kaiwi on the water front rocks, 150 ft east of the AD wall. The office was advised and Tracy came out at 1400 and did an N19 bleach, with girdle on our girl. Thank you Tracy !

 Kaiwi was still there at dark.

 At 1159 I found Kolohe (RW22) just hauling out to 1BS, on Rabbit Island. He would remain the rest of the day.

 I should digress a tad and say that on my first Rabbit Island look, at 0727, from Makai Pier. I had found nobody. Fisherman posse member , Bonzo, a regular at the pier, was there, and I found out upon my return to the pier at 1020, that he had been frantically calling to me as I left the pier (I never heard him) trying to tell me that 3....... yeah 3 Monk Seals (2 big ones and a smaller one) were swimming under pier I drove off. I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS !!!!! I'd put a cat on Duke,Kolohe & Nani, but ??????????

 Team Billand once again reported Irma (R010) at White Plains at 0700.

 At 1035 they found Pohaku (RO28) at Tracks.

 Kermit (R4DG) showed up fronting #1813 at NIM at 1305.

 At 1250 Donna advised that a friend had reported seeing N31, La'akea (RK82) at the Campbell Bird Refuge in Kahuku.

 Dana called at 1347 to advise that Gordon had reported KC (RK28) at MCBH. He said she has been there all week.

 For the Makaiwi (R4DF) fans amongst us, Tracy forwarded a shot of her sporting her new V02 bleach, on the Big Island.

 The bleaching process Tracy (PIFSC) quietly approaching Kaiwi for her bleaching
 And it's a success! Kaiwi was totally unaware of Tracy's expert abilities.
Kaiwi/RK96 is now registered as N19
 And for some of you folks who have been reading the blog for awhile.... here's 4DF (my fav tag) 
Maka'iwi with her V02 bleach
 Irma @ White Plains 
 Pretty momma 
 Oh what a beautiful morning.....
 Oh what a beautiful day.....
 Kermit @ Nimitz
 He still hasn't started his molt.
 Kermit has a new ouch on his muzzle... maybe its an ingrown whisker (kidding)
 O29 or better known as RO28

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Actually, the shot of the grayish colored skies and a surfer???? That was a sunset...Yep, I took that shot earlier and by a few minutes, the set was a beautiful red...How lucky are we who live in Hawaii, we get such pretty sunsets. Today was exceptional. And Miss Irma remained on shore, we gave up our watch and left at 6:30pm.

Anonymous said...

Was La'akea on the beach or the reef? Diane

Vera said...

Hi Diane,
She wasn't there during my shift (9:30 - 12:30). We'll be there again today, and I will send pictures should we find her.
Vera

Donna said...

Hi Team La'akea,

The text I received from a friend who has nothing to with monk seals. She said "Little N1 is on kahuku beach. sorry no photos. he is on the north end right over the hill from the cemetary closet to the horse ranch."

When I asked her later she said it was very remote and no one was around nor has she ever seen anyone in the area when she goes up there.

.... Barb the photos of the sky are beautiful.... I was actually being silly and singing the verse from an old song from "oklahoma"

Anonymous said...

That's closer to Kahuku golf course. I hope she stays over on that side near her sis. Diane