Thursday, December 8, 2011

12-8-11 DB Dailies

My first pass through the SE quadrant was a bust. Gayle called at 0830 to advise that she'd gotten a quick glimpse of an animal at Spitting Cave, so I was on my way. At 0839 it proved to be Kaiwi (RK96), once again at Spitting Cave. This girl is absolutely amazing. She'd spent 2 1/2 days foraging there with Buster & Kolohe, and then yesterday afternoon returned to Crappy Cove to haul out and catch a few winks...get poured on, and then this morning... she is back to Spitting Cave. That is an approximately 4 mile trip each way. Though we lost her from time to time, she was basically there most of the day. Tomorrow ????

 While on the subject of Kaiwi, Karsten Watamull sent a few seconds of footage from China Walls on 12-5-11 as Kolohe, Buster & Kaiwi were passing through. It was shot by spear fishermen that I spoke with that day. 

Rabbit Island had been Monk Seal free on all my checks, until I found little weaner Nani (RK60), 40 ft right of 3BS, at 1345. I was waaaay beyond my stress threshold with this little girl. I'd last seen her on 11-20-11. This parenting stuff is really hard. They never write...they never call... no email...nutin' . I'm glad she is home. Where she disappears to ??????

 At 0729 Team Billand called with the report of Irma (R010) at Tower #1, White Plains. There posse member Mochiko had reported , and cordoned her off at 0620.

 At 0817 the Billands found Kermit (R012) at Kermit's Reef, on the west side of the Nimitz Jetty. Probably none of you care, but if you look at the line above you will see that I've reverted to Kermit's "permanent ID" number of R012, as opposed to his tag number of R4DG. The offices wants to use his old number, and I heartily concur . Just thought I'd let ya' know. As my friend Miss Piggy always said, "A Kermie by any other name is still my Kermie".  Oh sure, change things.... As fuzzy bear would say, "do they do these things just to confuse me?" I just updated the labels so they reference nicknames and numbers.... I guess Kermit will just be kermie!

 At 1614 Dana called to advise that posse member Diga had found La'akea (RK82) near McKenzie's at Turtle Bay, this morning.

 Gayle and Kathy on their perch at spitting cave, you have to be brave to be there. 
 Welcome home NANI - you made papa lose a few more hairs.... he doesn't have much left.
 Kermit RO12 4DG etc. etc. etc.
 Miss Irma @ White Plains 
 Gorgeous Sunset !!! Lucky we live Hawaii.
Video courtesy of Karsten Watamull

No comments: