Friday, July 2, 2010

7/2/2010 DB Dailes

When I got my first look at Rabbit Island, from the Makapuu Overview (MO) I found Duke just hauling out at the right end of the beach and moving up and into the Morning Glory. He would later move down to cool off, and remained there the rest of the day.

When I got to Makai Pier at 0653 I could see Ewa Girl & Pup on the left end of the beach. I also found Sadie up in the Morning Glory 50 ft left of 1BS. She would move down and enter the water at 0913. I did not see her again today.

Ewa Girl remained at the left end all day. I saw 3 swims and 4 feeds through the day. I had lots of looks at the pup's belly today. Though the photos are weak, I was looking at a male belly all day. I'd seen it yesterday, but I just wanted to make sure today. I've decided to go with Sam, this time around. As regular readers will recall, I name all of Ewa Girl's kids after watermen. Duke is named for Duke Kahanamoku. THE Duke had a younger brother, also a waterman, and fellow beach boy, named Sam. I figure if THE Duke can have a younger brother named Sam, then my Duke can have one too. So let it be written...So let it be done .

At 1204 Buster hauled out 80 ft left of 1BS, with RIP hot on his flippers. They had a spat, and Buster returned to the water, with RIP right behind. I did not see Buster again today. This was the first documented sighting of RIP since he got his cell tag at Iroquois Point on 6-29-10

RIP hauled out again at 1212 to join Ewa Girl & Sam. Ewa Girl was not the least bit happy about that. There were many face offs , and eyeball to eyeball contact, but RIP would just not get the hint. He remained right at the edge of " the zone" until 1405. Ewa Girl finally ran him into the water. He would haul out again at 3BS at 1220 , and remained there the rest of the day.

Team Billand reported Rocky at Iroquois Point at 0846. She would be run off by kids at 1136.

At 0939 Team Billand found Makaiwi (4DF), to the left of the Oneula Pl. access (187) in Ewa Beach.
Ewa Girl, Sam and iRIP
Ewa Girl, Sam and iRIP
Buster and iRIP

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Fantastic photos and observations. Real excitng stuff, wish we witnessed all the adventure. I know how long it takes to snap at the right times, to capture that moment of an encounter with two seals, having a fight. I know how many shots you went through to get those awesome, real exciting moments. Thanks for an extraodinary viewing and bringing it to us to see too. Your work is so appreciated!!!!!!!! I applaud you!!! Boy, as soon as Rip got back, he didnt waste any time bothering everyone. He is a strong, bulky, handsome male. Kind of reminds me of Kermit in some ways. But Kermit was more of a gentelmen, RIP is RIP!!! Good name for an awesome seal.