Saturday, July 10, 2010

7/10/2010 DB Dailies

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0645 I found no sign of Ewa Girl (or RIP). At 0704 I found Sam , leisurely swimming back and forth between 1BS and the Left Greenery (LG), right where I'd left him last night. He was alone in the world, and is officially a Weaner.

Also at 0645 I found Sadie back at the LPB cliff, 40 ft left of 1BS. She would move down and depart at 0957. I did not see her again today.

On my 0744 , Spitting Cave check I found Kolohe doing 7 minute dives.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0856 I found that Duke had joined the cast , 60 ft right of 3BS. He would remain there all day.

At 1137 I became aware of a "swimming head" off shore of the left end of the beach. It would prove to be Buster. He and Sam would meet and they played and swam together until Sam hauled out 80 ft left of IBS at 1252. Buster would follow, and they spent the rest of the day snoozin' together. I'm always happy when Buster is the first contact for these Weaners. He is the perfect guy for the job. Though an adult , he still has lots of kid in him, and he is totally nonaggressive. Sam will be able to learn alot from him.

Team Billand called at 0716 with the report of Rocky & Benny together in the bushes, and Kermit on the reef , at Wind Sock, Kalaeloa Beach. They had overnighted.

For those of you that look at the dailies , but do not necessarily look at the blog, you might want to check yesterday's blog. Team Billand's outstanding shots of Rocky,Benny & Kermit, were posted after my dailies, and you should definitely check them out.

The Billands reported Makaiwi fronting #1704 at the Nimitz Cottages at 0746. She would be gone on their 1430 check.

Mrs. Whisperer did the KP trek today, and found Ka'ena, Kerby, CeeCee and T15M at the end of the world.

This was D#11 for R5AY&P at Turtle Bay.
Sam
Sam and Buster

3 comments:

Barbara said...

So glad Buster was there for Sam. That is reallllllly SWEET. Good luck kid on your new journey to being a mighty seal. Everybody needs a friend.

Hawaii Stella's said...

So Benny was over in the SW and swam to RI later that day?
I find the monk seals travel amazing. I wish some one would research how they navigate. Especially after Kermit's journey.

Donna said...

Hi Stacey....

No Benny still in the SW side, that is BUSTER on Rabbit Island... I often mix the two up... Unless you know something I am missing.