Saturday, November 14, 2009

Da Blog Lady Waikiki Adventures

Aloha good people!
What a seal day it has been..... I actually get to report in on a full day of seals... The day began with a call from the Barb Billand reporting Irma and Kermit at White Plains requesting some volunteer assistance for the day... Since I am "acting" volunteer coordinator (Jen is on the mainland) I grabbed the phone and began the calls... I would like to thank BARB ALLEN who ALWAYS manages to find a way to help out... she took the early afternoon shift and then Tony Q. from Kailua made his way over and took the late afternoon shift.... ( I also thought... hmm don't have to worry about Irma hauling out in Waikiki....) HAAAAAAAA

Meantime I needed to get ready and head over to the Aquarium since I had KP duty this afternoon. As soon as I pulled into a parking spot... my phone went off.... schofield called to report an animal on Waikiki.. the initial report was an animal by the Natatorium..... I thought, wow! perfect don't even have to move the car... I dropped my bag off inside the aquarium and let Stacey know I was on the search and would be back as soon as I could.... I made my way over to the beach by the Natorium... but no animal.... a couple of beach-goers saw me carrying signs and informed me there had been a seal in the water but it swam around heading towards Waikiki... I walked the shoreline up to the screen area across from the zoo... NO sign of an animal... ( I am thinking... okay not too bad) I made all the necessary phone calls... and placed my first call to DB... to let him know we had an unidentified animal sighting at Waikiki.... Just as I got back inside the aquarium... RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG another sighting only this seal is hauled out on Waikiki beach by life guard tower c2.... Oy! Stacey and I made sure KP was all taken care of (since we were suppose to be switching shifts) and we both headed out to find our Waikiki mystery seal. Sure enough.... there an adult seal that is looking pretty green... called DB and we GUESTIMATED it's Benny.... OH and when we arrived ... the life guards had already posted signs and had the caution tape up (yeaaahhhh life guards).

I stayed with Stacey for a bit and then had to head back to little KP.... got back to him about 4:00... David showed up shortly after and Mr. Adorable got his dinner.... I did the usual clean up of discarded fish heads... and began the drain.... I stayed with KP until 6 pm... In the meantime Stacey needed to head home to take care of her own family and I was able to get Auntie Becky to help out.... When I returned to Benny Becky was there working the crowds... the Hula Show at Kuhio Park was RIGHT in front of Benny... We decided to wait out the Hula Show... in the meantime Benny is up against the rocks and showing NO SIGN of moving.... I mean how the hell can we leave him with over 100 people standing there watching the Hula show... so we wait... and wait... and wait. We had many visitors.... some sober... some NOT.... finally after realizing I could easily be stuck there all night... I made my final call to DB at 9:15... (he was already turned in for the night and I am sure he only called me back cuz I left a long pathetic message... love ya DB)... He did call me back and said... Okay .. get up walk away and get out of there... you can not spend the night on the beach... sooooo Aunty Becky and I listened to the master and called it a night....
I just hope Benny leaves on his own and not because some idiot stepped on him cuz they were too drunk to see the sign... OY!

1 comment:

Dana Jones said...

Sorry Mom. Welcome to the world of volunteers. Just when you think you can call it a day, another seal hauls out. Thank goodness we have them and they keep us busy.