Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Letter from Val

Aloha Kp2 fans,
I had the opportunity to spend last Thursday with Kp2. I was first greeted by Da Blog lady at the airport, treated to a visit to the Seal Whisperer and arrived at the Waikiki Aquarium to meet Colleen (my favorite seal sign maker) and finally got to peek over the edge of the tank to see our little Kp2. Wow, what a thrill. I had watched this little seal in the “wild” on Molokai for almost 7 months. He looked beautiful swimming around in his little blue tank. Seeing him in the tank made me somewhat sad, but…I know that this story will have a happy ending, Kp2 will live the rest of his life being the great monk seal ambassador.
As I reflect on the past 7 months, I think of all the phone calls volunteers received concerning Kp, the trips to the wharf, the interesting people that got to see and sometimes touch an animal that they could never touch in the wild. We got to tell his story to so many…many that would never know about the plight of the Monk Seal if not for Kp2. I think of his little fan club in Cross Plains, Texas, and all the folks that stop me on the street to ask about him. Wow, this seal is a “GIFT” as his new Hawaiian name states. If there wasn’t a Kp2, I might not have all these special seal friends. Kp2 changed my life and I am so grateful.
Finally, after 7 months of obeying the rule of “No touching” I was given the opportunity to touch Kp2. This is a moment I shall never forget, as I petted him I felt the love and bond that we had developed over these many months. He knew I was there on Molokai to help protect him. As the day ended for me I leaned over the tank for one last encounter with him with tears in my eyes, I reached out my hand and he came and nuzzled it as to say good-bye and our eyes met and than he gave out one big snort!! Sounds crazy but it was an absolutely prefect way for our special time to end. Kp was saying, “Now go on, you’ve got seals to find on Molokai and I’ve got my job to do here and I’ll be just fine.”

Special thanks to the Billands for taking me back to the airport, and for capturing the beautiful final moment between Kp2 and me.

val bloy
Molokai

No comments: