Thursday, November 12, 2009

KP2 Update

Aloha good people!
Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of Mr. Adorable..... He continues to do well and is doing much better about eating his dinner rather than playing with it. We have some great volunteers helping out. NO DOUBT this little seal has melted the hearts of many... from the original group of people who were responsible for keeping him alive, to the next group of volunteers who watched him explore the shoreline of Kaneohe Bay.... and then of course to an entire community on Molokai.
I am sure each person has that special moment they shared with this little monk seal... I know I have mine.... I also know .... I will have to let go soon, and he will be in the care of a group of people who will help him ... and in return they will learn about our Hawaiian Monk Seal. I have to remind myself this isn't about MY feelings and MY time with little kp2.... I volunteer my time because I want to help protect this species from extinction... We all need to pitch in to help and learn to co-exist with these animals.... THEY BELONG HERE .... this is THEIR HOME....
I don't know if little kp2 has any idea of how many people he has touched... BUT I DO KNOW, he loves being in the company of people.... and perhaps his being in captivity isn't soooo bad after all .. stayed tuned. ~donna~

3 comments:

Dana Jones said...

OMG what cute pictures. What a great seal and what a great ambassador for his species. It will be so hard to say goodbye this time. I think it was easier when we thought he was going to be free for the rest of his life. You know that there is a bigger plan for this little guy when he has survived all he has been through and still has such a great capacity for adaptation and open attitude towards people. How priviledged are we to have been around such a beautiful soul and animal and to have learned so much from this special seal.

Nana Allen said...

BLOG Lady (Donna)
Beautifully said !!!!!!

Barbara said...

Yes, KP2 has touched so many of our hearts, it will be hard to let this munchkin go. I tear up just thinking about his departure. This kid is a world of knowledge, if only he could talk, but, yet, we all know him really well without words. Those eyes tell it all..his mannerisms are so dam cute. How this critter survived at all is truly amazing. When I think about it he was free from Dec 15 08, to Oct 16 09. Wow, how did he do it? Because he just went on with what he had, Knowledge...and kept going, what else was he to do, lay there and die? Nope..he kept going. ANd then he found the Harbor on Molokai. He found humans again, that so loved him. He was happy again and DOC GREG came to HIM, Val BLOY and DIANE Pike came to him, thats all he needed. All the surfers, fishermen, all took this little soul under their wings, and thats all he needed...LOVE. Love goes along ways. ROb and I will sit with him on Sunday, OH I CAN NOT WAIT!!! I think each of us should tell him how much we appreciate his life with us. How we have all learned so much without words, just all this spirit of a monk seal, with Cataracts, known as KP2. I will treasure each and every encounter with my special friend from the sea, KP2 is a LEGEND..A ROCK STAR, A GIFT FROM HEAVEN!! Big hugs to you KP2, LOVE YOU ALWAYS!!!!