Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Thank you Letter from Barb

To KP2's MOM...
You missed out on a wonderful son..KP2, SHAME ON YOU!!!

To NOAA...
Thank you for going in to rescue KP2 on Kauai that day in May 08!! For finding excellent help in saving this sweet seal. For sticking right through all the troubles, all the dead ends, on what to do with this seal from Kauai. Since May 08, you all worked hard in finding a way to raise him...You saved KP2's LIFE!!!

Marine Mammal Center...
Thank you for teaching us how to care for a pup, how to observe him and do data sheets. For finding the formula to feed him. You are extraordinary, gifted, caring folks, all of you!!! WE have learned so much from YOU.

Veterinarians...
Oh my gosh...you are so patient, very knowledgeable, loyal, kind, understanding...just plain...AWESOME. Thank you for saving KP. Thank you for noticing his eye problems.

To the MOLOKAI Volunteers....
Thank you for your time spent watching over KP2, for saving him from harm at the Harbor all those months. For using the Palm Frond to make him move on...For your devotion to one sweet Kid...KP. All is appreciated!!!!!!!

To the Kauai Volunteers....
Thank you for traveling here to Oahu, taking shifts to watch KP2. Such great people who cared!!!

To The Waikiki Aquarium...
For providing a temporary home for an abandoned blind seal, for putting up with all us volunteers, hanging around the tank. We meant no harm to NUKA what soever..We just wanted to observe our little KP2. NOTE: For me, I fell in love with NUKA. I hear his enormous voice. I never saw him once, but watching the trainer...she showed me how much work she put in to keeping NUKA comfortable, loved always, how she looked HAPPY to see him daily. How she fed him with great care. She made me cry when I witnessed her KISS NUKA..OH HOW TOUCHING THAT WAS. AWESOME DEVOTION. THat is what we want to do for KP...care for him too. My prayers are with NUKA and his trainer...GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Oahu Volunteers....
We all did our share of caring for KP. I think we all done good. Team work is amazing. Thank you for your loyalty to KP2. Thank you for your time and patience and spending all those hours with him from morning sunrise to late sunsets and more. Kp2 looks really healthy for being an abandoned pup. I think he knows how much we all LOVE HIM!!!!

Lastly....
Thank you Robert...my husband!! For putting up with me all these weeks. For listening to my worries of KP. For sitting there in our tiny space on all our sittings. I so appreciate you Robert!!!! I'm glad we both had this opportunity of caring and watching this magnificent mammal. Now you have to listen to my missing KP2...I know you got those big shoulders for a reason... KP2...
Oh how we love you KP. You have taught us so much on WHAT A HAWAIIAN MONK SEAL IS ALL ABOUT!! You have shown us your strengths, how smart you are. We loved watching you swim about the tank, in the sea pen, how you just go in the carrier cage without a problem. How you LOVED your MOI, YOUR taKo, how you adapted to all thrown at you, like eating HERRING instead of Talapia. Oh yes, we are all proud of our little KP2!!! Oh how we will miss our visits with you..we'll miss that sassy big mouthed Bah!!! Those eyes are so spiritual, your face so handsome, your swimming so smooth and FAST. Gosh, we will miss you KP2.

When you come home, we will all be waiting...hoping you'll be able to SEE US!!! God bless you KP2...thank you for being a good boy...you have grown to be A MIGHTY HAWAIIAN MONK SEAL.....LOVE YOU ALWAYS!!! Safe Journey...B

And just let me add a big thank you to you Barbara for your enormous heart... and your acknowledgement of everyone here... pretty much says it all. (oh and after speaking with Barbara I know she wants to extend a special thanks to Dera & Beau).

4 comments:

Hawaii Stella's said...

I know most of you don't know me. But that was very well said, I couldn't hold back the tears reading this. My heart is heavy.
I sure do miss that little buddy. I cherish the time I had with him.
-Stacey Stella
If I could have a copy of that picture I would appreciate it.

Dana Jones said...

Barbara you are the voice of love and compassion. The "Billands" are a force of love that will surely turn this species around. No one could have said it better.

val said...

Well, absolutely no one could have expressed what we are all feeling about Kp2 better than BARBARA!! Your words about and dedication to Kp2 are amazing.
I only wish more folks had the compassion for God's creation like Barbara & Robert!!
thanks for the beautiful photos and the words from your heart. I am so glad the Hawaiian Monk Seals have people like you in their corner.
God Bless--val

Anonymous said...

Aloha from Molokai
I want to thank Christina,Val, Diane, Ron, Lono,Pete and Shirley,Alona, Jill,Mike H., Stretch,Sue,south shore fishermen, Merv,George,Allen,Greg,Keith,Ernie,Carl, wharf community and the many other volunteers who helped us monitor KP2 at the Kaunakakai wharf and supported us all the way for 7 months.
KP2 brought a lot of JOY to the kids and they learned a lot about KP2, DA Hawaiian Monk seal.
Mahalo nui aloha,
Julie Lopez