Wednesday, April 1, 2015

4/1/2015 DB's Dailies: Aukai,RIP&RM38@RI, Kaiwi@BF, Nihoa@GR, Kolohe@PC&Maili Pt, Benny@PC, R5AY&Ola, La'akea@TB

At 0749 I found what would prove to be Aukai (RL12), and RIP (RR70) together in the Morning Glory, 50 ft right of 1BS, though I would not make the ID until later in the day. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0947 Aukai was still in the Morning Glory, but RIP had moved down to the water line. He would enter the water at 0954, only to haul out again, 40 ft left of 1BS at 1005 where he remained the rest of the day. It has been quite a while since my #1 son came home for a visit. His last documented RI visit was on 6-15-14. Aukai’s ID was by her right shoulder pit scar. RIP was more of a problem. With a transmitter it had to be either Benny or RIP. I would finally see his dorsal transmitter scar from years ago, but true confirmation came via Charles’ technological input, confirming the ID via text at 1330.

 On a pan at 0947 I found what turned out to be RM38 on the water front rocks 80 ft right of 3BS.

 At 0913 on my 3rd check of Buster Flats, Lanai Lookout, I found Kaiwi (RK96) snoozin’ on the flats. She has remained all day.

 Team Billand checked in at 0653 with the report of Nihoa (R912) at Maili Guard Rails.

 At 1040 they found Kolohe (RW22) at Maili Pt. They had gotten an earlier report of a “swimming head” at Paradise Cove and arrived just in time to see Kolohe checking the scene and departing.

 At 1120 they got calls about animals at Lanikohonua (gone on arrival) and one on the reef at Paradise Cove, which would prove to be Benny (RE74). He would relocate to the beach at 1415. 

Diane Gabriel checked in at 1000 , while on R5AY&Ola loa duty, to advise that La’akea (RK82) was at Right Spot’s Spot, Turtle Bay. Posse member Christian Young was out at TB today also. It has been a while since Christian checked in. Thank you for the shots, especially the U/U at Right Spot’s Spot, or should I say “La’akea’s spot”.
 Nihoa R912
 turtle and some random fans
 Turtle is out of here... don't blame him... I would leave too
Benny at Paradise Cove - amazing that he and Rip still have their sat tags on
 Better watch out dearie... Benny may make a move
 Benny found a friend.


b said...

Turtles at Paradise Cove are followed, fed, sat with daily. If we are there we will ask TOURISTS and LOCALS not to get too close. this young beauty, must have that VACATION SHOT TO SEND BACK HOME TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS. Shame on humans, for doing this...turtles like to rest on shore, same as the seals. That particular seal has this huge TUMOR on its left eye. I mean its covering the eye already, and it got run off once, so the next time, we went over, made a perimeter in the sand, the seal had its little space to REST. Educted those with the turtle, GIVE IT SPACE some respect for the critters at PC.

Finally folks backed off and the turtle made its way higher up on shore to sleep.

As for Benny, he was on the rocks for a long time, BUT, showed interest in going to shore. We tried asking folks to give him space. Some listened, some didnt. I ran to get signs and ropes, Rob kept folks back. WE quickly put the zone up for both TUMOR TURTLE and BENNY. There now, was that so difficult???? ONE volunteer who was knew was at Cove when we got there..CHRISSY? Christina? Thanks for being there...

We dont know what else to tell folks at Paradise Cove. Our same speech, leave the turtles be, let them come on shore and stay back from them. Keep away from the seals, we want to keep them wild and not DEPENDENT ON MAN. There arent many left on earth..GIVE THEM RESPECT and a SMALL SPACE TO REST.

Seems more and more tourists are coming out to PC. They call it TURTLE BAY now. THEY COME EARLY MORNING, PARKING IS FULL, the beach and water with tourists, FOLLOWING THE POOR TURTLES around. Gro Pros, snorkles, kids right in the faces of the poor turtles. Sad.

And if one turtle dare lands, BOOM! Everyone is there for their shot with a sea turtle in Hawaii.

We were happy to see Nihoa away from Canal.

It was fast and furious for Kolohe in Paradise Cove..he came slithering in, looking on tippie toes for a FEMALE. NONE THERE KOLOHE. He went right and left of Lagoon, over to the reef, looking, sniffing about. Then he gently went out to sea. And three hours later, we found him at Maili Pt, just hauling up on his high rocks.

Word was there was a huge seal at Lani's...which we had checked nurmerous times early morning with nothing found.

By time we got to Lani's AGAIN, there was NO SEAL, NO WALLOWs, just tourists in lagoon. AH...too bad.

It was hard to get help as well, we asked for someone to take over so we could go to our appointment. We left KoOlina for the day...we just had to leave poor Benny and Tumor Turtle, didnt hear what or who came after us.

We are so happy that Benny looks well, looks normal, and is ... ALIVE!!! He is one remarkable male.

I believe, Benny and Kolohe are the first seals showing up AFTER THE TRAGIC DEATH OF...RB24, HAUPU..May 17th, 2015. Benny was the last male seen with her at Paradise Cove. Jean Jasina watched Benny leave..took one last look at Haupu, Haupu looked at him..and then...BENNY LEFT. Haupu remained...FLOATING. Miss her!!!!

b said...

I just reread my story, OOPPSSSS...ERROR...I meant to say TURTLE HAS THE TUMOR NOT THE SEAL.

Also, the volunteer Christy was NEW, not KNEW. Sorry about that.