Tuesday, November 8, 2011

11-7-11 DB Dailies and More

The AD Pup Patrol began at 0600, as usual. Marilyn,Jackie,Gayle and myself were the Mission Impossible crew for the day. Despite many a mile walked, it would be 1354 before Kaiwi (RK96) hauled out, 300 yds east of the AD wall. Gayle made the find. Gayle and I had earlier walked the entirety of AD, from the wall to Pele's Chair...and back, but found nothing. Kaiwi was snoozin' on the water front rocks when I arrived at 1600 . At 1735 she moved up to the vegetation line,gnawed on a few bushes and then went back to snooze mode. She was still there when I closed up shop at dark.

 At 0833 I found Buster (RV08) doing 6 minute dives at Spitting Cave.

 At 1234 , on my 2nd Rabbit Island look, I found Kolohe (RW22) at Seal Rock Inlet. He would be the one and only RI resident today.

 Even though Team Billand are on their Vegas pilgrimage, Barbara still called to advise that Base Police had called to report 2 U/U fronting #1706 at White Plains. I notified Dana, at 0739, and she said a response would be in route. Vera Cober responded and dealt with the Dynamic Duo. She also provided her usual outstanding shots.

 Also at 0739 Dana advised me of an U/U animal in Ewa Beach. Frank was responding. No further word or photos at this writing.

 Both Karen Turner, and Diga were at Turtle Bay and sent reports and photos of R5AY, La'akea (RK82), and Ua Malie (RT10). On her way home Diga also investigated a likely lookin' lump on the beach in Hauula at 1718, and the lump proved to Lona (R017).

Buster @ Spitting Cave
Kolohe with Rabbit Island to himself
Kaiwi keeping the "camp irma" volunteers on their toes
This little girl loves her greens!
The dynamic duo Kermit and Irma
Sand Angels 
Things are so much better when there are two!
Irma 
Kermit (if these photos weren't labeled... really I wouldn't have a clue, not only would i have mistaken them for the same seal.... but other than the background I would swear it was the same photo)
Late Night Entry! Soooo Exciting Kekoa still in the neighborhood.... and hanging out with older brother Buster.  On my Spitting Cave check this morning I found Buster, and only Buster. In checking the Island Divers website just now, I found a dive report talking about 3 seals at Spitting Cave, however on a subsequent dive they found only 2 seals. The photo is most definitely, Buster and Kekoa. DB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are they allowed to dive that close to the seals??? If not is someone reporting this?

Donna said...

The question becomes... which came first the chicken or the egg...

Were the divers there first and monk seals swam to them? Which happens pretty often from most folks I have spoken to.... The Most Important is you/they should not approach the animal... if the seal swims away don't follow....

Hope that helps .... Oh and when they are too close and do the wrong thing... yes they are reported and OLE follows up.