Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11 DB Dailies

Weaner patrol began at 0610. Marilyn and I did Irma's to the estuary and back, and were relieved by Jackie and Steve. Nobody found nutin' . Marilyn and I even hike out to the peninsula at AD to check the two main inlets. Still nada. At 1037 by total, shere (BS) luck on my umpteenth time checking Crappy Cove, therrrre was Kaiwi (RK96) lolling in a near shore pool. I called Tammy and Gayle and they came a runnin' Alas the episode would last until Kaiwi moved out into the white water chop at 1101, and by 1103 we had lost her. She appeared to be heading out and east. The remainder of the day, thru Tammy, Donna and Z&P's, shifts, with tons of miles from Gayle, there was a whole lotta' huntin' and no findin'.

 On our 0728, Spitting Cave check we found only Duke (RA12) doing 6 minute dives. When I got to Makai Pier at 1236, the island was bare, but at 1252 out hauls Kolohe (RW22), 40 ft left of Seal Rock Inlet. He had the place all to himself.

Dera checked in at 1530 with the day's rundown on other critters.
At 0800 Debbie reported Benny (RE74) at Makaha. (Awaiting photos).
Next was a report of R5AY at Right Spot's Spot, and Ua Malie to the right of the Keiki Pool, Turtle Bay. Next an U/U in Hauula that Diga will check on the way home.
Next, an U/U at Papailoa St, on the NS.
No further info, and lastly the report of an U/U swimmer somewhere beyond Kahuku Point.

 Vera confirmed that Kermit (R4DG) and Irma (R010) where once again at White Plains.

 Duke, Duke, Duke of earl.... What a face!
 Kolohe - Wake up and go get Kaiwi 
 Kaiwi's brief appearance at crappy cove 
 showing off her big white belly
 Irma and Kermit
 KC @ Papailoa St
 Kermit 4DG
 Kermit and Irma 
 i'm sooo sorry, but when it comes to irma and kermit, i can't help myself... they are just sooo sweet together. And thank you Vera for sharing the photos and your experience.
 Really... look at them.

1 comment:

kellyinparadise said...

I'm sorry I could not respond to the 2:20 call I got from Dana until 4:30 or so when I finally checked my messages. (napping on my government holiday) :)
After looking for more than an hour and driving to and from Chuns to Papailoa I finally recieved a contact number and giving a call for an exact location I arrived at Papailoa beach access. I finally found what I believe to be KC (Ka'a'awa Critter). She was being bothered by tourist most of the day. The person who called it in was Alea someone who had worked with Elizabeth in an old seal organization. Thanks Alea!!
It was dark and to late for me to take any photos but I snagged Norissa who had taken the photo of KC earlier in the day.
The seal had it's face to the ground so I could not tell if it was KC because I could not see the scars she has on the side of her mouth however the all familar cookie cutter shark bite on the lowering right quadrant near the tail made me believe it might be KC.
Then the seal rolled over and I could see that it was a female with no tail tags. I could see the dark indentations on the sides of her mouth. I could also see that she had another visible cookie cutter shark bite on her right side above her flipper.
There was young boy who was sitting next to her trying to protect her from the tourist that had bothered her today. He said the seal had looked at him and was smiling at him. This also comfirmed to me KC.
We should be very proud of this young boy for protecting KC on his own and of course with out Norissa's photo I would not have a definite ID.
I stayed with her until I could no longer see. There were choke weddings on that beach today. KC did not look like she was going to enter the water anytime soon. I wonder where she is heading?

Another great seal day in paradise!

me ke aloha,
kelly girl