Thursday, November 3, 2011

11-2-11 Diga is Back from Down Under

Welcome Home Diga!
G'day Mates!

 Sorry, I haven't quite gotten over my vacation. I missed DB's dailies but here are the supporting photos.

 At noon I arrived at Turtle Bay and found R5AY and La'akea at Right Spots spot. Joy was putting up signs around La'akea so I started on R5AY's perimeter. Joy told me that Ua Malie was on the Kahuku side of the Keiki Pool and had already been cordoned off. I started taking photos after we finished.

 I was shocked at how thin R5AY was. She didn't look much better than when she weaned La'akea. It seems to me that she should have put on more weight by now. She looks like she has a few cracks and is starting to molt.

 La'akea was located in between Right Spots spot and the crazy guy. She snoozed the entire time in the same spot and then I went to talk to someone who was getting too close to R5AY. When I came back about 4:30pm, she was gone with only a trail to the water to show she had been there. I have no idea which way she went.


When I saw Ua Malie I noticed she was less green than when I saw her on seal count day but no molting was obvious. I was wondering if she was at TB to molt. She is located next to the Keiki pool in the last spot I saw her and R5AY before she was weaned. I went to check on her before I left and she was still in the same spot.

I noticed what looked like a wound but after closer inspection I couldn't see anything, although the photo tells another story. She also was obviously molting on her back side. I would say she is mostly molted except on her back, maybe 70%. I had a picture of her tag but I accidentally deleted it so you'll just have to take my word for it.

 Well, hooroo, see ya later, cheerio...sorry... Diane

Ua Maile RT10
 Peeling from the rear
 R5AY and yes she does look exceptionally thin 
 La'akea RK82
 The baby of the family 

1 comment:

Diga said...

We need more volunteers at Turtle Bay with 2 molting seals and 1 weaner running around, going place she shouldn't. We're not even getting all of the shifts filled. Come on peeps! It's a beautiful place to hang out. Diane