Monday, November 21, 2011

11-21-11 DB Dailies and More

Many a mile was trod by today's Impossible Missions Force, of Angela,Gayle, and to a lesser extent by myself, Zeeny and Patrick. I had a rare "Nobody/Nowhere" day goin' until my 2nd Spitting Cave check at 1334. There and then, I found an Unknown Weaner, with a transmitter, just to the right of the big rock. I followed the animal as it moved further into Maunalua Bay.

I contacted Dera, looking for some high tech assistance for an ID, but instead got low tech, but equally important help, when Dera advised that Reef Runway posse member Eileen confirmed that Kekoa (RK72) had hauled out there at 1100, and was snoozin' on the beach. That made this weaner a guaranteed Kaiwi (RK96) !! I relocated to the Kokee Flats, and spotted Kaiwi foraging just 20 ft off the flat, moving back out of the bay. Z&P called at 1617 to advise that Kaiwi was once again at Spitting Cave. Zeenat, Patrick and myself watched Kaiwi doing 6 minute dives at SC. At 1723 Zeenat advised that Kaiwi was headed out and around the point. Tomorrow ?????

 Team Billand had a much more productive day goin'. At 0830 they reported Irma (R010) , 95% molted , at White Plains near the showers at the east end of the beach.

 Also at 0830 the Billands advised that posse member Clay Gates reported Rocky (RH58), once again at Iroquois Point.

 At 0938 Team Billand advised that Kermit (R4DG) had hauled out fronting #1708, at White Plains.

 At 1145 the Billand reported a 98% molted , Benny (RE74) at Yokahama (Yokes).

 An evening check of YouTube provided footage of Lona (R017) at Molokini Island, Maui. You had last seen her at Sandy Beach on 11-15-11.
Kaiwi on her own at Spitting Cave
 Maybe she'll catch up with her cousins
 Rocky @ Iroquois (signature bleach mark on left flipper) 
 Irma @ White plains 
 OMG ! my kid is on her own at spitting cave!
 Where's Kermit when I need him?
 Kermit @ White plains snoozing
 Irma you calling for me?
 AND here's Benny! 
 Benny at Yokes
 FANTASTIC SHOT... wow! and so typical Benny

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Seeing Kaiwi at spitting caves, all by herself, is simply amazing. This little girl, is growing up, exploring the waters, learning, getting to know where there is FOOD, where there is comfort, meeting friends, its all just extraordinary to me. How do these pups know these things???
Kekoa at home at his birth spot...he made his journey all the way to R.I.and back. Wow...
I appreciate all you volunteers, spending so much time to locate these pups. Some times no one can seem to find them, and the very next day...OH THERE SHE IS!!! And we can all breath a sigh of RELIEF!! I love all the photos of the pups, this way, I get to see their growth from my computer rather than with them out there. SO I just want to thank you all for doing a job so well.

Kermit and Irma are apart lately. I think Irma had to do her molt, kermit was near by most of the time. Both were a football field apart yesterday, she stayed till 3:03pm, then left on her own. As for Kermit, he stayed on shore at Plains all day and beyond.
We had missed seeing Rocky, Clay called, but we had all the other seals to take care of. Thank heavens Clay was there for her.

Benny, he had left his spot when we got to Yokes. I was so disappointed as we took over an hour to reach him with traffic. But when I looked at the tracks, I felt, the tracks looked so fresh, as if he just left. And I was looking with my binoculars, looking, INTENTLY. And then..Ta daaa!!! The seal popped his head above surface. I tried so hard to get the id, and to my delight the seal came back to shore to the same wallow. It was good ole molted Benny, looking so handsome and clean. Yipppeee!!! Phew, that was a close one, almost missed it. Thanks Benny.
After that, we got to go back and observe Irma and Kermit again.
Life sure can be so much fun when things work out for the better. Just got to have patience and enthusiasm, faith.
Another day begins, I am ready for adventure. Seal ya, B