Thursday, July 28, 2011

7-28-11 We Have a New Oahu Pup

Aloha Good People,
I had the great pleasure to be part of a crew of volunteers to set up the initial SPZ - pupping zone this afternoon. Mama R5AY aka "Honey Girl" is a seasoned Mom and has raised some very feisty, healthy pups for a number of years, however today there were a couple of first.  One being the entire birth was witnessed by some swimmers.. Unfortunately there aren't any photos, but we are hoping to get a written account of the event.   One of our volunteers Scott mentioned a group kayaking at Kawela Bay saw an extremely LARGE seal swimming between the kayaks and described as being aggressive... this would have been before 2:00 this afternoon. The birth was reported to have taken place between 2-3:00 this afternoon at the Keiki Pool.  When I arrived at 4:30 I was greeted by our volunteers eagerly awaiting for the supplies to arrive to erect the "pupping zone".
And if that isn't enough we were very fortunate to observe the very first blessing of a new born pup. My photos do not do the moment justice, but I do feel very privileged to have been there. Here are a few of my shots I hope you enjoy and stay tuned..... there will be lots more to come.
da blog lady
Hello World!
 Blessing of Honey Girls Pup
A Tender Moment
 Hauling out 
 Mom offered her first feeding at 6:15.... unfortunately an actual feeding was not observed. Oh and the jelly looking thing in the foreground is the placenta....
 Safe next to mom
 I know there's something around here, why can't I find it... The kid made several attempts but never latched onto mom while any of us were there. We left the site @ 7:45 PM.

No comments: