Friday, July 1, 2011

7-1-11 DB Dailies

I was on the road at 0500, and standing with Irma (R010) in Waikiki at 0530. She had obviously overnighted. I don't know how long Dana stayed, but posse member , Kaipo was there with her last night, and there this morning when I arrived. I redid the cordon, and was relieved by Colleen at 0700. She called at 0727 to advise that Irma had departed, of her own volition at 0727.

At 0804 I found M&M (R020) and pup, on D#38, doing the first of 6 observed feeds, at the left end of the Middle Cliff, on Rabbit Island. They would also do 6 swim sessions. All swims and haul outs were in the Middle Cliff area.

On a pan at 0814 I became aware of Sadie (RB12) up in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS. She would be gone when I got back to Makai Pier at 1020.

At 1050 I became aware of a "swimming head" cruising the beach front all day long. At 1446 it would prove to be Buster (RV08). He never hauled out, opting instead to play the "cruiser male" role. Though he and M&M never had words, she did alert every time he came by, and he would often raise his head a bellow, just to let her know that he was there. He was still cruisin' when I called it a day.

Team Billand called at 0952 to report Max (R5EW) at Kalaeloa Campgrounds. At 1551 they would advise that he had relocated to White Plains, fronting #1777. The Billands called at 1855 to advise that Max had departed.

Ewa Beach posse member Toni Russ called at 1859 with the report of 2 animals at 185C access. Her photos confirm the IDs at Rocky (RH58)and T21M.

 MM and pup
 
 Irma @ Waikiki 
 Rocky and T21M @ Ewa Beach
 Love is in the air... these boys are relentless...

 little max relaxing after his unfortunate encounter
 hmmm he seems very relaxed
 gee i wonder how i end up with all this sand in my mouth
 DUH!

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow TONI RUSS, those are great shots Of Rocky and T21M. Funny how the boys will be right up the females butts for some attention. T21M is an older seal, but he still got IT, I guess. Any ways, I enjoyed the photos alot. Good job!!!

kelly girl said...

I love the blog, pictures etc...Max is so cute. Seals are adorable especially Max. Words can not describe what the pictures say about Max, ya just want to hug that little bugger!

great shots, aloha kelly girl

Barbara said...

Thanks Kelly Girl,appreciate it. Yes Max is an adorable little guy, so vulnerable to humans and dogs. This poor guy gets picked on, dogs love to charge him, he fights back alot. I worry for him EVERY DAY. We try hard to protect him, educate the humans who WANT TO PET HIM!! When we find him, I take a breath and say, THANK YOU!! For getting him through another day in peace. For myself, I truly love MAX...I want to grow old with him, see him become a MIGHTY MONK!!! He is in my prayers every night and forever. So are all the others...Especially Makaiwi...These two seem to show up together alot. Maybe Max thinks, Makaiwi smells like ...MOM!!!

kelly girl said...

Barbara, who is Max's mom anyways?

Barbara said...

Sorry dont know the mother of Max, but, I wish it was IRMA!!!! Max has a white finger nail, just like her.
I think you should ask DNA person, Jen Shoulz.