Monday, July 4, 2011

7-4-11 DB Dailies

Well, it was an interesting start to my day, and later I had a first, seeing something I've never seen before. I dare say most (no ALL) of you will say the same.

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0659 I found M&M (R020), and only M&M, at Right Greenery. There was no pup visible. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0850, there was still not pup. At 0900 on a pan, I found Nani on the water front rocks , 60 ft left of 2BS. This location is 100 ft right of M&M's location. The pup appeared to be on her own, and though I've never seen a weaning were the Mom stayed in the immediate area, it sure appeared that way.

At 0913 M&M awoke, and in a leisurely manner noticed the pup down the beach. She did a normally paced galumph to Nani's location, making contact at 0915. They would remain together the rest of the day. This was D#41. I observed 2 swims and 6 feeds.

At 0850 I found Sadie (RB12) on the beach front incline, 40 ft left of 1BS, on Rabbit Island. She would depart at 1050.

Though we had found nobody on the morning Spitting Cave check, I got a call from posse member Jonathan at 0937 reporting an animal there. When I arrived at 0957 I found Duke (RA12) doing 7 minute dives.

Team Billand checked in at 0800 to advise that Benny (RE74) had overnighted to the west of the Nimitz Jetty. When they found him he was just entering the water to begin a swim to the east as far as White Plains, where he attempted a haul out, but the hordes on the sand didn't allow it. Barbara was hoofing it the entire way in pursuit. He swam back to the west and Barbara lost him at Nimitz.

During that journey the Billands found Max (R5EW) at the bunkers between NIM and Wind Sock, and cordoned him off.

The Billands called at 1533 to advise that one of their posse had called reporting 2 animals at Iroquois Point. When they arrived at 1622 they found Rocky (RH58) and T21M.

Dera called at 1033 to advise that RI37 had been reported on the point at Laniakea, on the North Shore, by our Honu brethren.

Julie Lopez on Molokai took shots of R006 and Lona (R017) with their pups on 6-30-11. I recieved them via Nebraska, today. Enjoy !

I recieved photos from volunteers Vera and Glen Cober, from their Ka'ena Point trek yesterday , 7-3-11. Photos would confirm that they had Ka'ena (RO40), Kerby (RW08), and Noa (R6FI) at the end of the world. One of the shots was extremely rare. Today is the first time EVER that I've seen a real, live, Monk Seal penis !!! It's Ka'ena. Ya' make me proud Son !! (is that to say you've seen a fake or dead one?... sorry I couldn't resist being a smarty pants).

We are going to see the Hawaii Kai fireworks so please check da' blog in the morning for the Billands , no doubt, awesome photos.

MM and Nani
 Sadie
Kerby
 Kerby and Ka'ena
 Ka'ena showing off his manhood... 
 Ka'ena, Kerby and Noa - boys being boys... 3 different generations

No comments: