Monday, July 25, 2011

7-25-11 DB Dailies

On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island at 0930 I found Nani (RK60) on the beach at the far left end of the beach. She would enter the water for a swim/forage session at 1100, and haul out again to a spot 50 ft left of 1BS, at 1200. She snoozed there the rest of the day. She was the one and only RI resident today.

Colleen called at 0716 to advise that Rocky (RH58) was once again (D#3) at the Diamond Head showers. When Rachel rechecked at 1100 Rocky had departed. Team Billand checked in at 0920 to advise of Max (R5EW) at Nimitz Cove.  They had checked #1945 earlier and found a Benny wallow, with lots of dog tracks, but no Benny ???????

I got bored with watching Nani snooze so I came home at 1500, and slipped on the Monk Seal CIA hat and checked some sites. Right off the bat I found a reference at the Island Divers site, to having seen "a huge seal at Spitting Cave on the afternoon dive". There had been nobody there on my morning check. The photo at the site was of an U/U, white bellied animal, thereby ruling out "huge" for anyone familiar with the critters. I just had to know, so off I scurried to Spitting Cave. Upon arrival I found not one, but two white bellied animals. It was Kolohe (RW22) and Duke (RA12) doing 7 minute dives.

A late afternoon email from posse member Dennis Kunkel, brought news and confirmation photos of Ua Malie (RT10) at High Rock, on 7-22-11.

Rocky @ Diamond Head 
 Duke and Kolohe @ Spitting Cave
 White belly unidentified/unknown
 Max @ Nimitz
 I can't wait to see what this little guy is going to look like at some point without those green alice cooper eyes
 This cracks me up because little Kekoa who isn't weaned yet is twice his size.
Ua  Malie @ High Rock resting comfortably

No comments: