Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5-3-11 DB Daily a day late

At 0712 I found what would prove to be Duke (RA12) on the water front rocks, 80 ft left of Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1107 I found that Kolohe (RW22) and Buster (RV080) had joined him. All three of the boys entered the water at 1220 for a swim/play/forage session. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1400, all three had hauled out together , 40 ft left of SRI, where they snoozed away the rest of the day.

By far the most interesting facet of my day began at 0733, when I found Irma (R010) doing 6 to 8 minute dives at Spitting Cave. When she failed to surface for her 3rd scheduled up I took note, and through I remained for two more rounds (20 minutes) I did not see her again at SC. Toward the end of that period I sensed a "whisper" coming from my Monachus Gene , saying "Dude...If you go to Kokee, she will come". It sounded right to me so off I trundled to Irma's Grotto at the Kokee Flats. (more
into the bay at Portlock). At 0838 when I got to the Grotto, I found Irma lolling, and logging, 10 ft off shore of the surge channels that she uses to move into Irma's Grotto. I found a hiding spot and decided to wait her out. At 0924 I became aware that Irma was no longer visible. I had not seen her depart, she just wasn't visible any more. I remained until 1045 hoping for the best, but finally gave up and decided to go back to Spitting Cave to see if she was there. On my walk back on the flats, I whispered to my Monachus Gene and asked "sooooo.. what was up with that ? " The Monachus Gene whispered back " Duuuude... I said she would come..... I didn't say she would haul out...Later Dude ". Monachus Genes have an evil sense of humor.

Team Billand checked in at 0838 with the report of Kermit (R4DG) snoozin' on the reef at Wind Sock, Kalaeloa Beach. At 0908 they found Makaiwi (R4DF) once again at Nimitz Cottages, but today fronting #1704. At 1030 they found Max (R5EW) at Palm Grove, Campbell Industrial Park.

At 0917 Dera called with the report of an U/U at Sunset Beach. Dana checked in at 0935 to advise that volunteer Joy, and seen Right Spot's (R016) , right spot. Dana called at 1654 to advise that volunteer Joy had called to say that now there were 3 seals a Sunset. One was said to be RI37, and the other an U/F/ Awaiting confirming photos or all, at this writing.


A small factoid....... Happy Birthday RIP the original (Rabbit Island Pup). He turns 8 years old today. Hard to believe..... it feels like 80 !!!! Irma, Ya' Done Good !!

Buster, Kolohe, and Duke - The line up
  Irma @ Spitting Cave
  Happy B Day RIP...

No comments: