Saturday, June 19, 2010

Irma skunked me again. Day #2 in the Irma Quest came up zero .....again !

At 0640 I found Ewa Girl & pup swimming off the left end of Rabbit Island. They ranged as far as 2BS, but returned to their starting point, 150 ft left of 1BS, to haul out. The duration was the swim was at least 4 hrs. The pup did 2 feeds during the day, and both were still snoozin' when I departed Makai Pier.

Also at 0640, from the Makapuu Overview (MO) I found Sadie behind the water front rocks at what I call Rocky Right Beach (RRB) at the right end of the beach. This is basically where I'd left her last night. She remained there all day. From Makai Pier (MP) I could see only slivers of her all day.

At 0940 Duke moved up from behind the water front rocks of RRB. He had probably been there all along, but the rising tide forced up and into view. He would remain there all day.
At 1649 I decided to do a last Irma Quest check (still zero), and check RI again. EG&pup were still snoozin', as was Sadie. When I panned to Duke, there was Buster, newly arrived and pursuing Duke to higher ground.

Team Billand called at 0657 to report 4DF, fronting #1811 at Nimitz Beach. Her D#2 molt was 50%. She departed at 1845.

I received a call from NEBRASKA at 0744 (Val) reporting that Lona..aka F2 (bleach) had given birth at Kalaupapa last week (She had gotten word from Diane). Lona had last been seen on Maui on 5-20-10, and it was thought then that she would probably do her usual Kalaupapa birth thing. I had her down for 6-12. It looks like that might have been pretty close.
Ewa Girl and Pup
4DF

3 comments:

val said...

I so enjoy this blog and am so pleased that I can still contribute to the cause. Miss all my seal pals and so appreciate all the efforts pi forth- you're amazing folks.

Barbara said...

Hey Nebraska, Hawaii Girl!!!! Nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with your new home and your dogs are ok too. Miss you. THanks for the update of LONA and her new pup. YIPPEEE. She went to the right place to give birth. She is one huge seal. She was our very first female to take care of along with her boy...Benny on our beach in Maili. They are the couple at that time to get us hooked into ... ooppss! let me say INVOLVED with Seals. Yes, this blog is what connected us to you...aint that cool??? Seal ya kid. Big flipper hug to ya!!!!

Donna said...

hey val..... so happy to see you here. look the girl can leave hawaii but hawaii can't leave the girl. It just cracked me up that DB gets a call from NEBRASKA (land locked across the continent) to hear about a birth on the islands. This is why we love you woman!