Wednesday, June 2, 2010

6/1/2010 DB Dailies

At 0658 , from the Makapuu Overview, I found Ewa Girl just moving down to the water line, and turning occasionally to bark at the kid who was well back of her and showing no interest in wanting to follow. After just the right words, he scurried to catch up and both did the first of 2 observed swim sessions. That showing of an independent streak continued throughout the day. When it was time to haul out on each of the swims, the kid had to be spoken to, to get it to catch up and follow, on the haul outs. This was D#7 for the kid. I also observed 3 feeds. The kid had no problem showing up on time for those.
Also at 0658 I found what would prove to be Duke up in the Morning Glory at the right end of the beach. He would later move down to cool off and remained there all day along with a visitor.

At 0848 the surprise arrival of what would turn out to be M38 occurred. He hauled out to Duke's location and after some inititial interaction , finally settled down to snooze mode. They would remain there together for the remainder of the day. It was just on Sunday that Keith Kenyon documented him at Ka'ena Point, and here he is at Rabbit Island today. Amazing !!!

From 0830 until 1130, famed Turtle Dude, George Balazs, famed Monk Seal Dudess, Brenda "Yoda" Becker, along with mere mortal DLNR biologist , Jaap Eizenga made the journey to Rabbit Island. George was looking at turtle nests near 3BS, and Brenda was looking at the Monk Seal cast. She confirmed all the above mention Monk Seal cast. She was hoping to be able to sex the kid but she wasn't able to do that. Actually, I stoked about that. I always love that magical moment when you can finally see ( not see) that little black spot, where a little black spot oughta' be.

Team Billand was on it, in the SW quadrant, as usual. They had seen Irma foraging from 1050, but at 1130 she hauled out to the Wind Sock reef. At that time they could also see another animal foraging off shore. At 1229 they found 4DF hauled out to the west of the bunkers on the west side of the Nimitz jetty. Barbara called at 1640 to advise that 4DF had departed at 1502, and Irma had relocated of the Wind Sock reef, to the beach.

A 1630 call from Tracy, who is on Kauai to tag Rocky's son, brought news that said son is RT12&13. I had decided that I had no right to name a Kauai pup, even though it's Rocky. I was advised that have called to boy Kimo Waha !!! Damn..... I don't know if I have the courage to tell Rocky that or not ????

At 1814 a call came from an anonymous posse member reporting an animal just hauling out at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1819 I found Benny (of course). There were people, but none particularly close, as I began to put up the cordon . With all signs in, I began to string the rope, and the antsy little dude galumphed into the water and departed at 1822. I hung around until 1900, and called it a day. I can't prove it but since the boy was last seen right there in the same spot , four days ago (5-28-10), I'd put my dollar on a routine , 2 day visit to Molokai, with a travel day each way.

I was hoping to have Brenda's shots for you, from today's mission, but apparently that will not be the case. Maybe tomorrow ?

No comments: