Tuesday, June 29, 2010

6/29/2010 DB Dailies

At 0612, from the Makapuu Overview (MO), I found EG&P on a swim, and Sadie (99% molted) snoozin' in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS. On my 0815 check from Makai Pier I saw that Sadie had moved down to the water line. That was to be it for RI observations until later in the afternoon, when I got back to see EG&P doing a feed at the left end of the beach.

The bulk of the day was spent at the Turtle Bay Hotel, on the North Shore. Tracy called at 0715 to report that Jeanie Martinson had reported a mom and pup, approximately 1/2 mile, Kahuku side of the hotel. When I arrived at 0936 I found R5AY and a brand new pup, placenta detached by umbilical cord still visible. They were at the "Keiki Pond" around 1/2 (or less) Kahuku side of the hotel. Hotel personnel had put up stancions and caution tapes. Dera arrived with the equipment, and I and other volunteers, (Billands,Donna,Karen,Jeanie) erected a fence perimeter at the site. R5AY had given birth at Turtle Bay back in 2006 (Penelope), a bit further toward Kahuku from this site, but mid way through the process had relocated to the Keiki Pond. This time she is starting there. It really is a perfect little place.

Team Billand called at 0558 to report Makaiwi once again at the Nimitz Cottages. When they got back for their 1547 check she had moved east, nearer the bunkers.

At 0650 Team Billand reported that Rocky & RIP had overnighted at Iroquois Point. NOAA personnel responded to that site, and as of approximately 0830 put a cell tag on RIP. He immediately departed. When the Billands checked at 1500, Rocky was still there, alone.

Karen Bryan called at 1423 with the report of an U/U, 250 ft or yds closer to the hotel at Turtle Bay. Dera later called to say that it was a male belly. Dana Jones called at 1715 to say that she thought she saw a female belly. At 1721 she called again to say that she had seen the posterior right side natural bleach, and the posterior left side "N6" bleach of Right Spot. I'm awaiting photos at this writing. At this point I must go with an U/U. I hate ending the day with unknowns, but the office has trained me well, I guess. Without Proof, an U/U is required.
photos from DB
photos from Karen Bryant
photos from Barb Billand

1 comment:

val said...

Great photos. Congratulations and enjoy watching the priceless moments.