Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Afternoon at the Beach with Maka'iwi

Aloha Good People!
Many of you who volunteered this past weekend probably received an email from Dana thanking you for helping out. I would also like to say thank you.... it really does make a difference to have people out at the beaches to help manage the crowds. Also note, we will need help come this 4th of July weekend.

I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with Maka'iwi at Nimitz beach.... I have to say this young seal is quite the character, she spends alot of time moving around. Down to the shore back over the sand, into the water hauling out 30 feet away, signs in place, oh... she on the move again.  She is silly, and has the sweetest face... she kept shoveling the sand with her head, I later saw an imprint in the sand of her whiskers...

But above and beyond spending a beautiful day at the beach with a special seal, I got to hang out with Robert and Barbara... and that in itself is quite special.... Now we all know who the seal whisperer is and we all look up to DB, but I have to say Barbara and Robert are quite amazing and I am proud to call them friends.  (I also want to acknowledge a family staying at the cottages, supplied us with water, sandwiches and donuts....) very cool Sunday afternoon! ~da blog lady~

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey BLog Lady, thanks for your kind words. I am glad you spent time with Makaiwi, I told you she is a realy cool Monk. And all those that come to observe her go away with a memory of her soul. Makaiwi, she is one Different kid with alot of spirit, alot of soul that captures your heart. She dont talk, she just sends such great vibes, and we understand her.
It was great of those cabin people to share food with us.
Yes, it was a GREAT SUNDAY AFTERNOON...giving information of MONK SEALS to folks that were local and from the mainland who never saw a MONK. And Makaiwi was a great ambassador to learn from. I never heard her say a word YET. Just snorts...she is very quiet, maybe cause she feels comfortable in her perimeter, her safety zone.

Hawaii Stella's said...

I went to visit her yesterday. I just had to see
her for myself. She snoozed the
whole time : (. She is so small. Thankfully
there were no crowds when I was there.

Donna said...

Stacey I wish you had stayed... it would have been nice to catch up on the beach....

What time were you there.... ?

Hawaii Stella's said...

Noonish. The baby got wet and sandy. Then proceeded to
FREAKOUT when it was time to go! I couldn't find any water to rinse her off! It was ugly! So we were not there for long. Thank goodness for GPS!!!! It's in the middle of nowhere.