Thursday, March 4, 2010

3/4/2010 DB Dailies

I walked out of the house this morning in full Kermit mode, but I have yet to find the boy. On my first Rabbit Island look I found Sadie , 30 ft left of 1BS. The rest of the SE quadrant was a bust..........with showers.
Tracy called at 0805 with the report of an animal with a transmitter on it's back making an unsuccessful attempt to haul out in Waikiki, near lifeguard stand 2F . Too many people standing at the shore line, made that an impossibility, and for just as with yesterday's attempt, the animal gave up and departed. My dollar is definitely on Kermit !!

At 0824 Colleen called with a 2nd had report of an animal hauling out fronting her sister's house at Diamond Head, however when Colleen arrived the animal was gone. Another Colleen call at 0854 reported an animal hauling out between the 2nd Lookout and the Grafitti Bunker. Since Colleen had commitments, I responded to Diamond Head, and found Irma on the beach, duly signed. I also checked the rest of Diamond Head from Beach Road to Black Point (as did Colleen).

Since I was in the area I went to Waikiki, but found nobody. I spoke with both yesterday's and today's lifeguards at 2F, and both told the same tale of an animal with "a box" on it's back unsucessfully trying to haul out.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1140 I found that Sadie had been joined by Kolohe to the left of 1BS, on Rabbit Island, and Buster was at the greenery to the right of 1BS. At 1241 Mikala hauled out to join the other two at the left end. There was no interaction.

At 1434, Tracy called with the report of an animal just hauling out at Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1439 I found Right Spot, at the east end of the beach. I'll be going back for a recheck shortly.

Team Billand reported R018 at Nimitz Beach in the cottage area at 1137, and called again around 1500 to confirm that he was still there.

When I got to Sandy Beach at 1820, Right Spot had departed.

Kolohe, Sadie and Mikala
Buster
Irma resting at Diamond Head (a little chunky)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I am glad Irma had a successful haul out and a protection zone to sleep in. Now if only Kermit had the same protection out at Waikiki. If he wants to haul up there, let him people. This poor soul is TUCKERED OUT!!!! This will be day four of Kermit's travels since White Plains. COme on...let the seal LAND!! THis route is in his system, thats what he knows and thats what he WANTS TO DO. Miss ya KERMIT!!! I hope the people out in Waikiki would leave you alone...how would they like us to bug them on the beach..wouldnt like it would ya, so leave him ALONE!!!! BAH!!!!

Shermie67 said...

I saw Irma from afar, we were at Diamond Head Lighthouse. She was HUGE and beautiful. She kept burring her head in the sand. I got a few pictures. Even the locals I was with had never seen a Monk Seal so large. My last two visits to Oahu, I have seen a Monk Seal. I feel very blessed.