Sunday, March 21, 2010

3/21/2010 DB Dailies

It was a bumper crop of critters at Rabbit Island today. At 0650, on my first look, I found M38 up in the Morning Glory, 80 ft left of 1BS. At 30 ft left of 1BS I found Benny tucked into the base of the cliff, and Kolohe directly in front of him in the Morning Glory. Approximately 150 ft to the right at Right Greenery (RG) I found Buster by himself. At the far right end of the beach I found Duke up in the grass . All would later move down independently, to cool off.
When I got back to Makai Pier at 0900 I found that RIP had hauled out to 30 ft left of IBS, and was down near the water line. Both Benny and Kolohe would move down separately to join him. There was brief, minimal interaction between Kolohe and RIP, mostly nuisance nuzzling by RIP.

The day was spent watching six pinnipeds snooze , until on a pan at 1334 I found that Sadie had hauled out to join Duke at the right end of the beach. Then it was back to watching seven pinnipeds snoozin'.

Team Billand called at 0756 with the report of RI37 at Maili.

Keith Kenyon expeditions made the Ka'ena Point trek today and brought back proof of Ka'ena and Kerby, and what I believe to be M&M. Hopefully, Tracy will agree once she sees the shots. My dollar is on M&M.
Kolohe, Benny and RIP
Kolohe and RIP
Buster
Duke and Sadie
RI37 looking pretty chunky

1 comment:

Barbara said...

My wish is to see the actual birth of a monk seal pup, just once in my life time. Will I37 be the seal who grants me my wish? She is one pretty girl, very determined, very strong willed. I think all monk seals are STRONG WILLED...and innocent. She is one Fat Lady!! Come on I37...GRANT ME MY WISH!!!!! Hey, a lady can dream. And wishes can come true.