Thursday, March 18, 2010

3/18/2010 MonK Moment ( a new baby )

Hi Blog Lady,
I headed down the Kalaupapa Trail this morning to check out the first 2010 healthy monk seal pup. This pup was born on friday, March 12th. Mom and pup are doing very well. Mom is RI15 and has the record for being the youngest monk seal to give birth at age 4. She skipped pupping last year and gave us a healthy pup this year.
When I arrived mom was crashed in the shallow tide pool with the pup right next to her blowing bubbles. After a short time it was time for his mid morning feeding. The pup nursed about 5 minutes and then feel asleep next to mom. Often we would see his little fore flipper resting on moms side--too cute.
Right at noon, pup and mom entered the water for a 45 minute swim session. This was quite entertaining. Pup swam around, under and all over mom. He was having such a good time in the water--you could almost hear him say--"look at me mom I can swim, mom over here, now over here!!" It was a beautiful experience. Towards the end of the swim session mom did a few BAHS...pup responded with his little BAHS...it was then time for lunch and pup's nap.
I have included some photos. We will keep you posted on the progress of the 2010 pup.
P.S. NOtice my new bling--got my tags last week from Tracy!
Till next time,
Monk
Monk checks out Kalaupapa
Monk got bling!
Momma RI15 and Pup
Butterfly Kisses
Time to get out
Mom ! Your on my flipper!
Last Shot

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Oh How Sweet!! It brought back great memories of Hoku and R5AY at Kahuku. I hope this little pup grows to be a mighty FEMALE!!! If a boy, the same wishes for him too. Great shots of a special mammmal and her pup, it gives me such joy to view this. Thanks my heart is just pumping with the sight of a MOM and Her Beloved PUP. I cant sotp the tears, Hoku remains in my soul. Thanks for sharing Monk. God bless.
I also think of KP2..how his mom SHOULD HAVE BEEN AS NUTURING AS
I15 is. But KP2 is doing just fine, a Straight A student I hear. I am so very proud of KP2..Ho ailona!!!! He too is in my heart forever!!! Who could ever NOT LOVE MONK SEALS????