Saturday, March 13, 2010

3/13/2010 DB Dailies

From Makai Pier at 0650, I found Duke, Mikala and Buster all in a little gang 20 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island. Each would move down individually during the morning to cool off, and all remained in a group all day, with no observed interaction. It was a warm fuzzy scene, but very boring.
Tracy called at 0818 reporting that she'd seen Irma below the 2nd Lookout at Diamond Head. She advised that Colleen was handling.

Team Billand responded to a "dead seal" call from Tracy at 1109 at Tracks, and at 1136 , I'm happy to report, found two very much alive critters, RI37 and R018 snoozin' away at Tracks.

Jenn Maldonado called at 0859, asking about the ID of an animal with an F2 bleach. It would turn out to be Lona at Mokuleia. This was an especially significant find because Lona had been possibly hooked on Maui a few weeks ago, and this was her first sighting since then. I'm happy to report that Jenn saw no hook or line.
Duke, Buster, and Mikala
RI37 and RO18

1 comment:

Barbara said...

After getting the call of a DEAD SEAL on rocks, I was a complete wreck. All I could think of was FEAR! These days, you dont know what to expect around that corner while going to a call such as this. My heart pounds, it aches, I say a prayer, please, dont let this be true. Let us find, a sleeping seal. Well, we approached a seal, not moving, but another seal hauls up also. But it is staring and stretching its neck to view the other still seal. I run like hell, I study, observe, it aint moving. I wait. THe other seal moves around the still seal, making these loud plopping sounds. The still seal MOVES, BREATHS. I am extatic, all is GREAT!!!! R018 was just, COMOTOSE. THank heavens!!! I make my call that all is well. Phew!! The Bonus is having two live seals before us. Life is good again. Next Beach. I gotta hug. I am filled with relief!!!! Filled with appreciation for our Monk seals.