Sunday, March 14, 2010

3/14/2010 DB Dailies

It was a long and stressful day in the Rabbit Island world today. On my first look at 0657 I found an animal partially hidden behind the Morning Glory , left of 1BS. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0830 I began to get better and better looks at the animal with improving lighting. Finally at 0849 I finally saw that it was Benny, and unfortunately it also became clear that he had a fish hook and leader in the left side of his mouth. It was obvious by the way he was throwing his head around that he was in some distress. The hook was clearly visible. In the debriefing Chad called it a "Salmon Hook". All I know is that it was darned big.
I called Tracy at 0900 and the gang began to amass. By 1300 Operation Benny personnel were on island and ready to capture him. The capture went very well, and the fish hook was successfully removed.

Benny was not alone today. At 0840 Duke hauled out to join him, and then Kolohe followed at 0947. Both approached Benny, but he made it abundantly clear that he wasn't in the mode.

As if I needed anymore surprises, one more was yet to come. At 1001 an very chunky, red tagged female hauled out to the same location as the other three, but maintained some separation. I was very clear on who it wasn't, but I had no clue who it was. It was not until the debriefing after the Benny response that I was informed that it was R6AJ, a Molokai female, and a regular find on the Bloy/Pike expeditions on Molokai. This is her first ever appearance around the Oahu area.

Unfortunately, when the Benny capture went down , all the other animals hurriedly departed. I did not see R6AJ again, but I saw Benny, Kolohe and Duke again at 1400, after everyone had departed. The youngsters were cavorting in the shallows, and Benny hauled out at 3BS, looking considerably more at ease than he had been in the morning.

I offered Dr. Charles, Dr. Greg, Chad,David,Shawn & Tracy my usual "Ya' Done Good" at the conclusion of the mission, however Charles said that he expected a gripping account of today's activities on da' blog, and that nothing less than stupendous would do,to describe their heroics, sooo........ To all concerned Ya' Done STUPENDOUS !!!  (yes Dr. Charles... you done good, you all done good, the heros of the day)

Rabbit Island was not the only game in town. The Kenyon posse did the Ka'ena Point trek and were rewarded with the presence of Kerby and Ka'ena at the end of the world.

Team Billand reported R018 and Kermit , at separate locations at Nimitz Beach today. It sounded like a bumper crop of idiots at Kermit's location. They also reported RI37, once again on her new found piece of reef at Tracks.
Benny and Duke
Benny, Duke, and Kolohe
Ka'ena
Kerby

No comments: