Sunday, March 28, 2010

3/28/2010 DB Dailies

It was a busy little Rabbit Island day, with an interesting cast. Let me digress for a moment. On 3-24-10 I had a couple of swimmers at Sandy Beach which I theorized where Mojo and a probable Mikala. Since that day I've been awaiting proof. Today, that proof occurred. Circumstantial though it may be, Mojo and Mikala finally made it to Rabbit Island. I know NOAA won't go for it, but we here at the Bald Naturalist's Society (BNS) consider it proof.

My first look at Rabbit Island at 0700 was a bust, however, when I got back to Makai Pier at 0930 I found Mojo and Duke at the far left end of the beach . At 1107 Kolohe hauled out 20 ft left of 1BS, and then Buster arrived at 60 ft left of 1BS at 1130.

Mojo was in classic "cruiser mode" today, entering the water several times only to haul out with every other cast member, multiple times. He and Buster had a few spats, but it was never anything more than nuisance interactions. Both Buster and Mojo would interact with all the youngsters. By 1240 all four of the boys would be at the far left end of the beach, and at 1247 here came Mikala hauling out 80 ft left of 1BS, and galumphing over to join the rest of the gang. This was the very first time in my career that I actually had a pile of pinnipeds all lying on one another. I kept imagining Pier 39 in San Francisco. At 1300, with Mojo in the lead, all would enter the water together and play and frolic in the shallows at the left end of the beach. After a short swim/play session the individuals began hauling out again, beginning with Mikala at 1BS at 1307, and then Kolohe, 70 ft left of 1BS at 1308, followed by Duke, 80 ft left of 1BS, and then Buster 50 ft left of 2BS at 1114. Mojo would haul out to join Buster at 1320. All remained in those locations for the rest of the day.

Team Billand called at 0830 with the report of Kermit at Kermit' Reef on the west side of Nimitz jetty, and R018 fronting #1777 at Nimitz Beach. Both would be gone by their mid afternoon checks.

Buster and Mojo
Buster, Kolohe and Mojo

No comments: