Wednesday, March 24, 2010

3/24/2010 DB Dailies

At 0600 I found Irma waiting for me at Irma's,right where I'd left her last night. She had definitely overnighted. I redid the rope and continued on. She has remained there all day. I'll be rechecking her shortly. I picked up the rope at 1917. Irma was peacefully snoozin'.
As I was doing my Sandy Beach check at 0635 several of my SB posse stopped me to point out two animals swimming and playing in the shallows to the east of the Half Point rocks. They characterized them as a "mom and baby", but it was simply a large one with a smaller one. I observed them from 0635 until I lost them at 0651 when they moved outside at Full Point. Some of that observation was with the scope. I definitely identified Mojo by his natural bleach on the top left side of his head, but the smaller one was impossible to ID, though my guess was either Duke or Mikala. Since I never saw Duke's bleach, and later found him at RI, I could rule him out. My guess is still Mikala. I was hoping that they would make life easier by hauling out to Rabbit Island later but , of course, it couldn't be that easy. I saw neither one today. They were moving in an easterly direction. Maybe tomorrow ???

I found Duke snoozin' in the Morning Glory , 30 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island at 0709.

On my Spitting Cave check at 0749 I found Buster doing 6 to 8 minute dives, though one was 11 minutes.
 
I got back to Makai Pier at 0943 and Duke still had the place to himself. At 1002 I got a call from Rachel at Diamond Head. Colleen is off island so Rachel is in charge. She reported an animal to the right of the showers at DH, but was unsure of the ID. I decided to make the run and at 1044 confirmed that it was a very...very chunky Rocky.
I got back to Makai Pier at 1209 and found that Duke and moved over to the greenery to the right of 1BS, and that he was now in the company of Kolohe. They remained there together for the rest of the day, with no interaction.
Team Billand reported , off shore of Kermit's Reef, foraging at 0746, and confirmed his haul out to Kermit's Reef, on the west side of the Nimitz jetty at 0825.
Irma
Duke and Kolohe
Rocky
Kermit

No comments: