Thursday, June 14, 2018

6/14/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Morning & Afternoon Ka'ena Update

I went down early and found RN58 "Luana" on the Lyman side of PO4 site. She's looking good. Didn't get as skinny as her eldest sister RL42 "Leia".

The best part was to find PO4 "Puna" (M) D47 and PO5 "Napua" (F) D41 in tide pools on the Left Side Coves. After observing them for 15mnts, "Puna" galumph his way over a reef and joined "Napua" in her pool. She still has a lot of her black coat but from late afternoon yesterday to this morning her bleach mark seemed to disappear (no longer visible when she was in the water. 
This is the best part of monitoring weaners, they are so playful and fun to watch.
I called the seals in to Hotline and gave a report. Aloha ðŸŒº

Went back down this afternoon to check the "playpens".  RN58 "Luana" was no longer on the beach at PO4 site PO4 "Puna" (M) D47 and PO5 "Napua" (F) D41 were hauled out separately sleeping peacefully. Now the challenge was on for the who is who since as of this morning her bleach is no longer visible.
While Barbara (volunteer on duty) and I were talking about this, I spotted a big seal swimming by, it made it's way to the waterline and I IDed RG40 "Holokai" by the antenna on his back. He left as fast as he came by. I called him in to the Hotline
I went back to the IDing of the weaners. Luckily PO5 "Napua" (F) D41 was showing her belly, I pointed it out to Barbara. Clearly visible were 3 nipples and umbilical.

kissing cousins
RN58 Luana



No comments: