Saturday, June 28, 2014

6/27/2014 DB's Dailies: Kea & Buster@BH, Buster@SB, Kaiwi@BF, U/U@Lagoon#1, U/U@Shark's Cove

At 0630 I found an overnighted Kea (RN46) at the cove on the Sandy Beach side of the Blowhole Lookout. Marilyn advised that Kea was still there at dark.

 At 0640 I became aware of what would prove to be Buster (RV08) doing 5-6 minute dives at Blowhole.

 At 1030 Buster would haul out to join Kea, for the 1st documented time in the Blowhole Cove. There were people nearby when Buster began his haul out but I managed to get them to move back, which they did immediately. The two were still there when I departed at 1115.

 When I got back at 1252 I found Kea there alone, and when I looked off toward Sandy Beach, I saw a likely looking rock at the far east end of the beach. Sure enough, when I got down there at 1055 I found Buster and cordoned him off. Witnesses said he had hauled out 20 minutes earlier. Buster was gone at 1913.

 While at BH , at 1000 one of the tour bus drivers mentioned to me that there was an animal at Buster Flats, Lanai Lookout. I did a quick run to LL and there was Kaiwi (RK96) snoozin’ on Buster Flats. ID was by K96 tag. Marilyn advised that Kaiwi was still there at dark.

 My Rabbit Island observations were a bust again today. Nuthin’ but birds.

 Dana called at 0935 to advise that she was at Lagoon#1, KoOlina with an U/U that was now foraging just outside the Lagoon. She advised that the day had begun at 0600 with an entanglement issue with this animal, but she advised that the critter had freed itself. Photo received was inconclusive.

Awaiting more info. Also at 0935 Dana advised of an U/U at Shark’s Cove. Awaiting further info.

 Buster and Kea at blowhole
love that buster is so sweet with the young'ens 
hey kid you're not so bad....
 awww thanks.... high five
 kea
 Buster at sandys after he left kea at blow hole 
 Kaiwi
 Kaiwi next to her Zen rock garden 
 hard to tell what is happening here.... clearly an animal in the lagoon... just happy to hear the report that what ever animal was tangled managed to free itself.

No comments: