Monday, June 30, 2014

6-29-2014 DB's Dailies:

At 0708 I found an overnighted Kaiwi (RK96) once again at Buster Flats, Lanai Lookout. Marilyn, Melanie & Gayle did multiple checks throughout the day. She was still there on Gayle’s 1800 check. 

On my first Kaiwi check I met and spoke with new diver posse member Michael Riley. I asked him to contact me if he saw any other seals on his dives. He called in the afternoon to advise that he’d seen another animal in the water on the cove side of LL. When he downloaded his video, and then took the time to research the blog, he advised that it was Kolohe (RW22). Having viewed the video I can confirm the Kolohe ID. More on him in a second.

 My Rabbit Island day was especially noteworthy. At 0930 I found what would prove to be Sadie (RB12) & Aukai, 100 ft left of 1BS. Sadie has not been seen since she weaned Pua on 5-12-14.  At 1239 what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22) hauled out to join the girls. Shortly after his arrival I noticed him alert to something in the water. When I panned to the shallows I found Pua (RF34) at 1254. She would eventually haul out with the group, but maintain some distance. In case you don’t keep track of family trees you should know that Sadie is Pua’s mom. You don’t get moments like that very often. There was no observed interaction .

 At 1413 Ocean Safety called to advise of an animal at the Blowhole end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1418 the animal was just reentering the water having been denied haul out by the adoring hordes. Melanie watched from BH while I went ahead to the east end of Sandy Beach. Sure enough at 1524 the critter came cruisin’ down the beach front in near shore waters. Again the abundant adoring hordes were dogging him on the trip. I managed to get everybody to cooperate and back off, and at 1430 Buster (RV08) finally hauled out. Melanie and I cordoned him off, and Marilyn arrived shortly thereafter. On a recheck at 1707 Marilyn called to say “He is on the move”. He moved about 30 ft to east again disrupting many beach goers, who thankfully were very understanding.
We got him cordoned off again. At 1742 Marilyn called again “He is on the move.....again !” . Fortunately, this time to departed. Thanks to Marilyn, Melanie and Gayle for everything.

 The rest of the news basically came in a call from Dana at 0857 reporting Haupu (RB24) at White Plains. Glenn Cober photos confirm the Haupu ID. Thank you Glenn & Vera.

 She also advised that Right Spot (R016) was at Shark’s Cove, and Benny (RE74) at Makaha. Unfortunately there is no photo confirmation.



Kolohe, Sadie Pua and Aukai
 
 Buster at Sandy Beach

kaiwi 
 and this is something that drives most volunteers/seal guardians nutz!!!
Haupu at white plains - photos from Cober Clan

No comments: