Tuesday, June 17, 2014

6/17/2014 DB's Dailies: Buster@RI, RIP,Duke,Pua&Nani@RI, Haupu@KoOlina

At 0824, from the Blowhole Lookout I observed what would prove to be Buster (RV08) just hauling out to the east end of Sandy Beach. I relocated and cordoned him off, but as critters do occasionally, he reentered the water just as I finished the cordon, and hauled out again 100 ft down the beach. I had noticed that he was a bit antsy on the initial haul out, and he alerted to something he thought he saw when he reentered the water. I happened to get a call from Colleen as this was going on. She advised that she’d seen a friends Facebook video of RIP (N1 visible) hauling out to Buster yesterday. They scrapped for a minute or so and then RIP departed. My guess is that is why Buster was alert this morning. I’ve seen the video but it’s a very small image and not much could be gleaned from the footage. RIP, by the way, was back on Rabbit Island today.

 At 0937 I found RIP (RR70) at the far left end of the beach on Rabbit Island. He would be gone on my 1500 check.

 At 0956 I found Duke (RA12) snoozin’ on the rocks at Rocky Right Beach, RI. On my 1500 recheck he had relocated to Seal Rock Inlet, and was now in the company of the lovely Nani (RK60). Fortunately, her N60 bleach was clearly visible.

 Also at 1500 I found chubby weaner, Pua (RF34) fronting Left Greenery on RI.

 At 0822 the Billands advised of an U/U at Lagoon #2, KoOlina. At 0938 they confirmed the Haupu (B24) ID. She entered the water at 1036 but remained at the mouth of the lagoon, foraging.

 Photos of Pohaku (RO28) & her pup (PK2) were sent from Gary Lange, thru the Billands to the blog. Thank you Gary!!

 Buster 
 Sandy Buster at Sandy's Beach
 Haupu at KoOlina
 She's sprung a leak... hope she's okay... or maybe this is normal if she's pregnant. 
 this is not a place to give birth

Photos from Kauai - Pohaku with her wee one
look at this little velvet wonder
]

No comments: