Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buster,Kolohe,U/U & Kaiwi @ RI, Noa&Kerby@Maili Pt, Makaiwi@KCG 5-2-2012


The Elves and I were out early on the Kaiwi/Irma Quest. The Elves put in some mileage, but came up empty. I , meanwhile , sat on my large butt at Maiki Pier with a cast of Kolohe (RW22), Buster (RV08), and an U/U that I was never able to ID. All were at the left end of the island.

The highlight of the day came at 1030 when, on a pan, I found a small animal just emerging from behind the rocks of Rocky Right Beach, at the right end of the island. My initial thought was Nani, but as it moved up the transmitter came into view, and then the N19 bleach. It was KAIWI (RK96)!!!!! She remained the rest of the day. I saw her injured eye, fully open on two occasions. Her last visits to RI came on 3-13 & 14, and again on 3-17. NOAA personnel were not able to respond today, to deal with her hook.

Team Billand called at 0816 to advise that they were watching two animals foraging and playing , off shore of Maili Pt. They were able to ID both while still in the water at 0910, as Noa (R6FI) and Kerby (RW08). On their 1328 recheck they found both on the rocks at Maili Pt.

At 0930 Diane reported an animal near the Fire Surf School, Kalaeloa Campgrounds. She confirmed the Makaiwi (R4DF) ID at 1242.

 Kaiwi @ Rabbit Island
Kerby and Noa

Maka''iwi looking chubby but I am sure it's just the angle of the shot.... she would say " I don't like this photo it makes my butt look big"
There she is Maka'iwi normal size
Kerby and Noa at play
silly seal boys


Resting after a hard days play

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why no photo or photographer ID?