Tuesday, May 1, 2012

5-1-2012 DB Dailies: Buster,Kolohe&Nani@RI, Kaiwi@SC, Irma@DH, UU@Waikiki, Kerby&Noa@Maili Pt, Makaiwi@KCG


Though I was on the road early, and the Elves were out in force on the Kaiwi Quest, it would be 1043 before I saw my first critter.

Dera called, at 0930, with a report of 2 animals at Sandy Beach. I initially found nothing but in speaking with the caller I discovered that the animal had never hauled out, but had been playing in the shallows at the east of of Sandys, and had continued on to the east. I began working my way through Kaiwi Kove, and Irma's and then to ADs. About midway down ADs I found a swimming head moving east, and when I got to the estuary there before me where TWO swimming heads. It was a medium one and a small one, both with 2 red tags, and though I could rule out Kaiwi, I could not ID either in the seconds I had available. Both continued on the the east. I'd put a cat on Kolohe & Nani, but I thought to myself that I'd know the IDs when I found them hauling out to Rabbit Island.
Unfortunately, they got there before I did. When I arrived at Makai Pier I found Kolohe (RW22) alone at Seal Rock Inlet, and Buster (RV08) and Nani (RK96) at the far left end. Kolohe would relocated to that end and he and Buster had a few words. Buster would relocate to 3BS, while Kolohe and Nani remained at the left end. All three remained the rest of the day.

The Kaiwi hunt would prove fruitless until 1408 when Zeeny called with the news that she had found Kaiwi (RK96) at Spitting Cave. Unfortunately, she had only seen a single up, and nothing thereafter. Teri would come through at 1534 to report that she was with Kaiwi at the ladder, near the point.

Surfer posse member Dave Martin called at 0708 with the report of an animal, already signed off by surfers, just east of the showers. Colleen would confirm the Irma (R010) ID at 1041. I'm reasonably sure Irma and I will be meeting somewhere tomorrow.

At 0736 Team Billand reported they had 3 animals foraging off shore of Maili Point. At 0835 Kerby (RW08) would haul out at Maili Pt, followed by Noa (R6FI) at 1150. The 3rd animal never showed.
At 1039 Dera called to report that she and David were on their way to the Sand Replenishment zone in Waikiki, where work had come to a halt due to the arrival of a critter. Dera reported that the animal was already gone when they arrived. No ID was possible, but DUH ?????? doncha' think Rocky should be on top of the list ?

At 1317 Team Billand checked in again with the report of Makaiwi (R4DF) at "Al's Bench", Kalaeloa Campgrounds.

Dera checked in again at 1456 with the report of an animal at the trailers at Turtle Bay. Awaiting further word.
Irma @ Diamond Head 
 Maka'iwi @ Spitting Cave 
 4DF - Maka'iwi @ Kalaeloa
 peacefully snoozing
 Cutey Noa @ Maili Point
 Noa and Kerby
 Kerby and friend 
Kerby
  nice mug shot of Kerby
 ‘o sole, ‘o sole mio
sta 'nfronte a te! 
sta 'nfronte a te! 

No comments: